Possible reason the A-10 is being dropped

Although not mentioned in the video, these can hit moving targets.
For stationary targets, I'm sure that self-heated decoys could work.
Basically, the original rationale was to break a mass of tanks flowing through the Fulda Gap in Germany, from afar.
The Warsaw Pact had something like three or four times as many tanks as Nato, so there was lots of attention spent on ways to even the balance. Actually, The A-10 was one of these ways.
Joe Gwinn

I don't see why they want to replace the lovely and SUPER-EFFECTIVE Warthogs. What's a little DU among friends?
--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

It's also extremely low-cost to build and operate. Aha, perhaps that's why the arms dealers want it gone and are convincing the Brass to dump it...
--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 08:25:16 -0700, Larry Jaques

They're dumping it because an illiterate, barefoot gook with a three-generations-old, black-market Russian MANPADS can knock them out of the sky like flies with a flyswatter.
Otherwise, they're great.
--
Ed Huntress

I saw many dozens of skeet go off but only one explosion on a ground vehicle in any of those shots. Doesn't look very effective, but it sure looks and sounds impressive while it's being ineffective, wot?
--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington

I saw that too, but the picture resolution was not sufficient to see what they were hitting.
This weapon is intended to devastate a mass of tanks attacking, so think of it as a hi-tech kind of grapeshot, one that works on targets well beyond line of sight. They probably don't care that not all the grapeshot hits something, so long as the attack is broken, or the staging area well behind the front is devastated.
Joe Gwinn

To have been impressed by that video, I would have needed to see about 4x the kills they got from the ordnance. Seeing only one effect on any of the ground vehicles/targets per instance left me flat. Nothing was blown off any tank or target, no targets fell over, etc. Just the one explosion per. I'll bet the designers were underwhelmed, too.
The armchair generals (and other politicians) probably loved the sound and fury of it all. ;)
--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

You are missing something critical, the explosively-formed penetrators. They are solid metal projectiles formed by specially-designed shaped charges. The projectile will be going about 2 kilometers a second, and is quite capable of devastating a tank. But it doesn't make that big a blast.
.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_formed_penetrator .<http://www.google.com/patents/US6186070
The most effective IEDs are EFPs from Iran.
.<http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-sees-new-weapon-in-iraq-iranian-efps/
It makes little difference that those tanks look OK from the outside. The heavier the armor, the stronger the effect. The inside of a tank hit by such a penetrator is dust and red mush.
Joe Gwinn

OK, perhaps I am expecting too many explosions when a tank is taken out. I thought that most anything which penetrated a tank would also hit the stray munitions inside, causing a large explosion. Too many movies?

What I've had trouble wrapping my mind around is how a wad of nearly molten copper, which is much softer than armor plate, can penetrate the hardened steel. Is sheer velocity/mass the reason? Or do they melt their way through? I can see how the super tough, pointed tungsten rods in many KE tank-busting rounds can do it, but how about the rounded EF copper glob?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaped_charge says that shaped charges are kinetic rather than relying on jets of molten metal to melt their way through the target. Interesting.

Ah, OK. I know that penetrators do a frenetic dance inside the cavity they penetrate, bouncing around for quite awhile, destroying anything they touch.
--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

[snip]

Probably depends on where the penetrator hit - the magazine is somewhat separate, and unarmed artillery shells are not fragile.

The kinetic energy of a kilogram of metal moving at 2,000 meters per second (Mach 6 or 7) is considerable: 2 megajoules. This is a meteor strike.
At the force levels of such impacts, there are *no* solids, and only density matters. And speed of course. Think of it like drilling dirt with a water hose.
The simulation software used to predict effects are called hydrocodes, as in fluid dynamics.

And don't forget the steel fragments from where the penetrator barged through four to six inches of armor steel. This inside will look like it was sand blasted. The crew never knew.
Joe Gwinn

Yes, probably.

Indeed!

That's very telling, isn't it?

The pureed crew?
--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Exactly. Red mist. Cooked.
Joe Gwinn
Guess you wanted nerve gas loads inside and if the boom wasn't enough then the marketing group got to clean up the bomb zone...
Targets normally don't have much boom unless they are looking for a show.
They are old versions that have fuel to put them there unless a crane lift didn't.
Martin
On 9/27/2015 10:22 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I did, right after watching the movie "The Jackal". That was a meanass little remote controlled toy, wot? The look on Jack Black's face...
--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Larry Jaques wrote:

Nope. That's exactly right for an operational (and armed) tanks and trucks. Google for some ISIS/Taliban footage.
This is test range stuff. No fuel. No ammunition*.
*Putting a couple of shells in the target tanks would look cool. But imagine the EOD effort that would have to follow every practice run.
Alert -
The A10 is in standby still active. The joint forces jump jet for the services isn't cutting the mustard. The Joint Staff put a hold on the demise.
Martin
On 10/6/2015 8:52 PM, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 22:16:31 -0500, Martin Eastburn

This is Most Excellent news!

Will do.

Quite right, Paul. Thanks for the extra feedback.
--
Canadian: An unarmed American with healthcare.

More like a Cuisinart juicer!
--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Well, you can sure see the damage from those clusters. It's raining pieces for minutes afterward.
--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

Cool new toys. R&D figured out some more stuff. Some of this design concepts were released as a deterrent force. And why not.
Martin