Possible reason the A-10 is being dropped

I don't know where you work, but I used RF grade PCB material for hand test boards of telecom IC's. When the frequency of the square wave is or exceeds 12GHz, the Fourier frequencies of the rise and fall time determine the bandwidth of the traces and scopes used...

Electrical trade depending on the location in the industry of Calculus or better. Most doesn't require much more than arithmetic.

If you don't work in some fields, don't speak across all fields. Engineers do math based on the job and use what they can in doing it.

My dad was into n-dimensional space at work. And he could calculate in it. After-all Over 100 years ago Maxwell worked on advanced mathematics for electronics and others.

I just completed a paper on advanced mathematics. Most of which is over

100 years old. The two Geometries that were used by Einstein in writing his two major Theories. He wrote one for sub-atomic and another for the cosmos.

Mart>> >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

What you don't understand is the patent is filed under a name. I have one under mine. The company 'bought' it from me for a 100 dollars and made 100 Million dollars. I got 100 smacks and they got all of the other. They owned the patent even though my name is on it. They owned me and they owned my work.... Slavery of sorts.

So finding a patent in the name of Joe Blo doesn't mean he will get a penny. The owner of that will.

Mart>> >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Radar hardware of one design and a good one was developed in the UK. Western Electric was assigned to take it and make Ship radar and then Air radar. The design team was in Bell Labs, my dad was on that team. He later went to Carolina to put it into production. He retired as a director of R&D in Field Engineering and had a heavy dotted line back to Bell Labs. He spent his last 6 months in the Labs completing his design documentation on his last monster Radar.

The US worked on radar at the same time, but didn't have a working model as clean as the UK. The UK design went to both Naval bodies of the UK and USA. It was critical for the shipping between the US and the UK. Later it was shown to be instrumental in many a battle in the Pacific.

The Magnetron tube that was provided was an R&D design by the UK. It put both of us ahead in shipboard radar to fight planes and subs.

Mart> >>> >>>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

No, but you were complaining of "poorly educated" folks here.

And that's good.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Pass!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The magnetron tube was an American invention:

The British contribution was to extend its frequency response into the microwave range. US experimental microwave radars of the late 1930's used Klystron tubes, which took longer to fully develop.

That article mentions that magnetrons had poor frequency stability. British electronic genius R. V. Jones wrote that they could classify unknown transmissions as British or German by observing their frequency stability. Typically German field gear was as good as the best British laboratory instruments.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

What's missing is that Raytheon invented the manufacturing process that made it practical to make magnetrons by the tens of thousands. Without this, radar would have remained a lab curio.

.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Here's a good layman's account of the history and status of laser weapons:

Ed Huntress

ote:

rn

hare of resources to other areas. Fighters, bombers, infantry, self-propel led armor, etc. Weaponized electrophysics got hardly any comparable financ ing.

uff like cruise missiles. Though, House Speaker Tip O'Neill and the democr ats were tougher on Star Wars related research than the republicans at that time, but still. Electromagnetic and laser research, development and prod uction always get next to nothing in funding compared to stuff like

Ed, just so my point isn't lost: The US Military (along with most other ind ustries) have been distorted to benefit fossil fuel producers. At any cost.

This isn't about anything else, OK? That was my point.

Reply to
mogulah

My dad used Klystrons you could unbolt a plate and climb inside (in a RAD suit) change the filament climb out and pump down. They were 6 meters tall. Short ones :-)

Magnetrons, a high tech type, was / is used on a B-52. It has some special features that isn't on the typical unit. About the size of a boot box. I taught Semiconductor Electronics to the B-52 Design team so they could design the F-111B. And they did. It was a bit weird to be teaching someone twice ones age solid state devices. Thankfully I knew tubes and related their place in the solid state designs. They took to design faster that way and we got into the mathematics as well. A long time ago.

Mart>> Radar hardware of one design and a good one was developed in the UK.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Nope. That's exactly right for an operational (and armed) tanks and trucks. Google for some ISIS/Taliban footage.

This is test range stuff. No fuel. No ammunition*.

*Putting a couple of shells in the target tanks would look cool. But imagine the EOD effort that would have to follow every practice run.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Alert -

The A10 is in standby still active. The joint forces jump jet for the services isn't cutting the mustard. The Joint Staff put a hold on the demise.

Mart> Larry Jaques wrote:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

This is Most Excellent news!

Will do.

Quite right, Paul. Thanks for the extra feedback.

Reply to
Larry Jaques