shipping responsibility question

Well then don't buy anything from me on eBay, because if you want the insurance, you get to clicky the box to say so, and pay for it.

Yes, the seller would submit the claim, but that doesn't mean it's his responsibility to pay for the insurance out of pocket. Or, if you want the cost to be transparent (but you'll be paying it anyway), the seller can easily enough add $1.35 to the "and handling" costs.

I sell a lot of items on eBay. Nothing staggeringly valuable, but I do offer insurance. Less than 1% of the people opt to have the packages shipped insured.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

This is beginning to look like a ping-pong match. Does anyone know what the law (or case law) is? This is certainly not a new problem.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"F.O.B." means that the commodity is placed "free on board" the carrier at shipping point in suitable shipping condition, and that the buyer assumes all risk of damage and delay in transit not caused by the seller. This means, for example, that if a load is wrecked or stolen in transit, the buyer must pay the invoice price to the seller and file a claim with the carrier to recover damages. Under F.O.B. terms, the seller guarantees that the product, when loaded onto the carrier, is in "Suitable Shipping Condition." From:

This is sort of standard in the business world. However, the FOB term needs to be in the order. I don't think it is for Ebay sales.

Reply to
Billy Hiebert

May be different in the US of A, but over here it is as follows:-

The contract for shipping is between the seller and the shipping company, not the buyer and the shipping company. Therefore it is up to the seller to recover any costs for missing items.

In this case, it is probably reasonable to ante up the postage for the replacement, but it is also reasonable to expect the seller to recover any losses (including the replacement shipping cost) from the shipping company if possible and reimburse the buyer.

Mark Rand (got a claim going through a shipping company with the seller at the moment for 100' of 3/4" dia electrical cable that 'went missing') RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I'm going to ship an item from san diego to fresno soon. Kinda heavy so I'm going to use a heavy plastic bucket instead of cardboard. Get the insurance. it's cheap at twice

Reply to
daniel peterman

It is the traditional legal agreement. Part of the difficulty these days is that FedEx and UPS will not accept a claim from the buyer unless the buyer was the one that paid them for the shipping.... At least that's my understanding.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Virginia Satir (1916-1988)

When I get pissed off at some perceived There is no right way to do the wrong thing.

Thomas Huxley (1825-1895)

Jeff (Who shares a pair of initials with you.....)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The quote on my wall is from Harry Pope

NO DELIVERY PROMISED.

TAKE YOUR WORK WHEN DONE OR TAKE IT ELSEWHERE.

IF YOU MUST KNOW WHEN I WILL BE THROUGH YOUR WORK, THE ANSWER IS NOW. TAKE YOUR WORK AWAY. I DON'T WANT IT.

I HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHEN I WILL BE THROUGH.

I WORK ELEVEN HOURS A DAY. DAILY INTERRUPTIONS AVERAGE ONE AND ONE-HALF HOURS. DARK WEATHER SETS ME BACK STILL MORE.

THERE IS BUT ONE OF ME. I'M HUMAN AND I'M TIRED. I REFUSE TO LONGER BE WORRIED BY PROMISES THAT CIRCUMSTANCES DO NOT ALLOW ME TO KEEP.

YOU'RE A LONG TIME DEAD. IT IS TIME TO BEGIN TO LIVE.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Virginia Satir (1916-1988)

When I get pissed off at someth There is no right way to do the wrong thing.

Thomas Huxley (1825-1895)

Jeff (Who noticed he shares a pair of initials with you.....)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

From the ebay help file....Paul

"Disputes over items not received or received but significantly not as described can usually be resolved by direct communication between buyers and sellers. To help transaction partners reach a resolution, eBay provides an online process where buyers and sellers can communicate with each other. Please note that eBay's Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described policy and User Agreement both state that sellers must deliver the items that buyers purchase from them."

Reply to
PJ

I just checked the Fedex site and found the following about "limits of liability" under their terms and conditions..

"With respect to FedEx Express Freight services, unless a higher value is declared and paid for, our liability for each piece (single handling unit) is limited to US$100 or US$1 per pound, whichever is greater. When the declared value exceeds the greater of US$100 or US$1 per pound per shipment, an additional amount will be charged for each US$100 (or fraction thereof) of additional declared value. See Rates in the FedEx Service Guide for details."

I ask about the insurance if I don't see it listed in the auction, and won't bid if it is not offered/available. The only time I will not request insurance coverage is for auctions involving "local pickup".

One thing to keep in mind about insurance, it also protects you against a seller who doesn't ship anything.

Reply to
reply

If I did that I might as well never accept mail. I cannot count how many packages I have recieved that looked worse than this one did.

Apparent is a little strong. I said feasible. To be honest, I didn't think it looked that bad. It was partially split down one corner, but I didn't think it was terrible. Not the condition I would like a package to show up, but I have seen a lot worse.

Fair enough. In the future I will probably follow this advice.

I didn't think it was totally unfair. I was just wondering what other's would have done in the same situation. The opinions obviously run the gamut.

I wasn't attempting to victimize the seller. If it seemed so, I apologize. I never listed his id/name or made any directly defamatory statements.

FWIW, I have sent the seller payment for shipment for the replacement part.

I honestly would have felt better to be arguing over a damaged part than a component that "went missing" in transit. I had never considered the option of something falling out of the box.

JW

Reply to
jw

"jw" wrote: (clip) I had never considered the option of something falling out of the box. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ How does the shipping weight compare with the weight of a caster? Maybe it was never in the box.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

It seems reasonable. I think it was in the box at the time of shipping. I have no good reason to believe otherwise.

JW

Reply to
jw

First dont ever ship anything through the United States Postal Service, Just watch a shift change outside your city's main USPS sorting center. You could prolly find better workers prison! Well the seller is liable because he should have sold and shipped the casters with insurance in the second place. And if he would have insured them he could have made more money on them.

Reply to
ALex

i am kind of amazed that all these people act like he seller has no responsibility to dleiver an item. If mcmaster sent you a grands worth of stuff and rsponded to you rlack of receipt with a tracking number and a shrug, would you pay the invoice? I think not. The seller owes a delivered product. If there is no insurance he still owes a delivered product. If he refuses neg him and pull the paypal.

Reply to
yourname

This is absolutely correct, UNLESS different terms are mentioned in the auction.

If my auction says "Foo bar for sale, like new", buyer pays, the item is lost in transit, then it is indeed the loss of the seller. And it would be an easy case for the buyer to recover money through paypal.

Now if my auction says "foo bar for sale, like new, if the buyer declines insurance, he is responsible for lost items", it is not as straightforward (and still the buyer would likely be able to recover via paypal, as it does not care about stuff like that too much).

Insurance is between the seller and the shipping company.

Ignoramus14359

Well, why would you blame McMaster if UPS lost it?

Nope. If you choose not to insure the shipment, then if the post office loses it, it's your problem. If you don't trust the seller to send it uninsured, buy from someone else. That's what reading feedback is for.

What's your eBay ID? I'd prefer to not have you buy things from me, I don't think we'd get along well. If you decide not to opt for insurance, you're saying that you're willing to take on the risk yourself. By then pushing that risk back to me if there's a problem, well, you're trying to play it both ways. Sorry, not gonna play.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

FOB where? FOB my door, it is YOUR responsibility, and your property, when it leaves my door. FOB your door, it is my responsibility, and my property, until it is delivered to your hand. Usually requires you to sign for the delivery.

It's a pain , but freight collect items seldom get lost, because they don't get paid for the delivery until it is delivered.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca