Small Tool Gloat

I was over at a buddy's house the other day, and he asked me if I wanted an air drier. Nothing special. Just a 3 foot long dessicant filled pipe style with a drain at the bottom. When I asked him what he wanted for it he put it in my car. Said he got two of them for next to nothing a while back, and he only needed one.

Ok... really small. And... yeah he is a buddy. Somebody I often as not give small things to when he needs them, but still. It was nice.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Nifty! What will the plumbing look like? A valve on the bottom to flush the liquid through an orifice, driven by a timer?

Or something?

Indeed.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I would expect something of that sort as a mate used to design truck air brake components and desiccant air driers were in the product line. The system would have a small air receiver to hold enough air to purge the desiccant and it would be controlled on a timer to remove excess moisture cyclically. The desiccant would eventually need to be replaced but the desiccant can on the one I have is like a large oil filter and screws on and off.

Reply to
David Billington

Interesting. Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Thinking about it a bit more the truck system is safety critical so that extra complexity is justified, in a shop air system where it's not used frequently just occasionally blowing down the desiccant manually with air direct from the receiver may be all that is required to keep the desiccant in good order to dry the air. By the sound of the brief description of the drier by the OP it may be intended to be that simple, I would expect the air to flow over the desiccant and have the drain at the bottom.

Reply to
David Billington

Somewhere around here I have the guts of a 'dual' unit. Two desiccant pipes which alternated service. While one was in service, the other drained. There are some electronics that control the sequencing. Nifty setup, but *very* hungry for air.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston