Some metal Content but more electronic stuff

Do any of you have MagicJack? Can you send and receive Faxes using MagicJack?

The reason I asked is a friend of mine is wanting to switch to it but he uses his Fax machine all the time and he does not want to lose that capability. He uses the FAX to send and receive various documents he needs in his small machining business (patent prototypes for the most part. He does not want to use E-Mail because of security issues. I installed Magic Jack for my land line two days ago and I haven't tried to set up the FAX function yet. So I am asking here.

TIA DL

Reply to
TwoGuns

Not Recommended.

Reply to
David Lesher

============== There are several cheap/free solutions available.

One is to use file compression software such as PKZIP or WINZIP that have a password protection feature to "zip" the sensitive information before attaching it to an email for transmission.

the byte heads

Another is to use an encryption program such as PGP with a public/private key feature. There are several other similar programs.

Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

if you expect any reasonable security, don't use winzip/pkzip password - the encryption is weak, there are downloadable tools to break the encryption, and I've been successful doing this (on a business related file where a co-worker forgot the password). PGP is much more secure, it's free for personal use, and sufficiently inexpensive for business purposes, and widely accepted as secure.

Reply to
Bill Noble

Note that this does absolutely nothing for security.

These are good options.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

{top posted}

Yes but see

Do not rely on Zip 2.0 encryption to provide strong data security.

==>If you have important security requirements for your data, you should use WinZip's AES encryption. AES is the Advanced Encryption Standard, which is the result of a three-year competition sponsored by the U.S. Government's National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). This encryption method, also known as Rijndael, has been adopted by NIST as a Federal Information Processing Standard.

WinZip supports AES encryption in two different strengths:

128-bit AES and 256-bit AES. These numbers refer to the size of the encryption keys that are used to encrypt the data. 256-bit AES is stronger than 128-bit AES, but both of them can provide significantly greater security than the standard Zip 2.0 method described above. An advantage of 128-bit AES over the 256-bit AES is that it is slightly faster, that is, it takes less time to encrypt or decrypt a file.if you expect any reasonable security, don't use winzip/pkzip password - the