Someone got a good deal on this 25 HP compressor

Yes, gold is more of an asset, not money.
wrote

Iggy, I know people, and I know you. Everyone is not as motivated as you; you see opportunity where others see despair. You will get out and work.
We need more Iggys in this world.
Steve

Steve... I appreciate it... Looks like you have done your own share of hard work... I find it that I become lazier as I get older. I do not feel older, ye, but I am lazier. Sometimes I feel like I should not work as much, and yet somehow work finds me...

I get around. Was in five states last week. In all, I saw LOTS of empty businesses, lots of houses for sale, even some with MAKE OFFER signs and that was the first time I have ever seen that on a real estate sign. Lots of what looks like absolutely new never occupied strip malls that were virtually empty. And I mean mall after mall after mall. Lots of large anchor stores for big shopping centers empty. Stores where I used to shop now gone. Tons of vehicles on street corners for sale. A garage sale at every other house. It's out there, even if it isn't in your hood yet. Just because you don't see it, don't be misled that it ain't there. I can't see the Statue of Liberty from my house in Utah, but I believe it when someone writes in and says it's there.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

I didn't say it wasn't out there, indeed it is, but it is in specific areas and very well correlated with the political atmosphere in the states over the past decade and change.

Michigan and Indiana, then, would be exceptions.
Ignoramus31369 wrote:

Michigan has been imploding for a decade at least. Indiana, well, I don't know much about there, so I can't say what their troubles stem from.

Wait till January...Christmas is going to be very very rough on retailers..many do 50-75% of their total years profit at Christmas..and thousands will go out of business.
Their employees will go on unemployment..and the people that serve those people will have to start laying off..all the way down the line to the trucking companies that haul the merchandise.......
It should be a very interesting spring this coming year.....3-10 million more on unemployment/welfare..more houses going into default....
And the ammunition manufactures are working 24 hours a day making ammo that is still hard as hell to buy.
Its going to be a very very good year for undertakers
Gunner

The shit is approaching the proverbial fan.............................

It's still soft around here - the local Taco Bell is dragging their feet big-time doing a 'Two side walls and a slab' total remodel from the original Mission Walk-up design to the current large dining room plan, because while it's shut down they don't have to hire workers - Much cheaper to put up a sign referring you to the closest store that franchisee also owns.
It's been six months plus on a job that should have been totally done and occupied by now. I've seen restaurants go up on bare lots in three months, open in four - if they have all their shit together and ready, and all the equipment staged in a warehouse.
Vacancies are down a bit - but it's all "Pop-Up" stores for the Holidays, three to five month short-term leases. Halloween costumes and Christmas stores, Kay-Bee Toys trying out some new ideas, etc.
--<< Bruce >>--
Gunner Asch wrote:

I didn't vote for Obummer, but I can assure you that California's woes do not in any way stem from 9 months of Obummer, they have been years in the making.
Pete C. wrote:

Mainly by folks with the same ideas as the current bozo in chief. Same problem with all of New England.
--
Steve W.

Of course they have. Obama simply pushed them off the ledge.
And its still a long long way to the bottom.
Gunner
or about Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:15:41 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    When the "disaffected youths" decided to fly some Aircraft into buildings in an effort at "Manmade Disturbances", one friend of mine took a look at the economy and declared bankruptcy. Why wait for the layoff? Another, took a look at his burn rate, at how much venture capital he had, and the possibility of things picking back up to just 'bad' and closed the doors on his startup. No sense hoping for a turn around in that climate.     I'm sure there were hundreds of businesses in Sept of '08 who said "things are tight, but we may make it.." who realized what a Democrat party lock on the White House, and Congress meant for business and the economy and said "That's it, we're done, we're not going to see things turn around before the money runs out." - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

When you get a dose of the clap, it is not meaningful to blame it on the doctor that is treating the condition, unless the doctor was the one screwing you just before you got the clap.
Mark Rand RTFM
or about Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:10:56 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Not to mention Doctors. Texas put a cap on "pain and suffering" awards, and the doctors are moving.

    If only I could stand the humidity ...
pyotr - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Yes, several big new medical centers just built or under construction to open soon around here.

The humidity is fine in the DFW area, nothing like hotlanta. Good weather, good economy, low cost of living, no state income tax, etc.
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:39:41 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    And no mountains. I've gotten used to those the last thirty years. I just realized that it has been at least that long since I last lived some place where it froze in the winter. Not just got below freezing at night some times, but the "high today is expect to be near freezing, but then it will go back down later in the week." kind of cold.     But maybe it is time to consider relocating. - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Not in the immediate area, but within a reasonable drive west on 70-80 mph highway toward Big Bend, etc. if you want for a weekend trip.

I bailed out of the frozen northeast. While it's not as hilly here north of Dallas, there are plenty of trees and wooded areas which is fine for me. I have no plans to go back to the northeast.

The best time would have been before the housing bubble burst in the places worth leaving now. It's still a decent time to consider relocating if you were to loose a job in one of those problem states since you'd have a better time finding a new job here and the lower cost of living would make your savings and severance last longer as well.
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:20:16 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    "It is always a good time to buy. Not always a good time to sell." So said my real estate agent friend, when I bought my house.
pyotr - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!