Union Millwrights

It always seems strange why anyone would chose to make less money,less benefits,less insurance,less retirement,less and less. Just how dumb does it take... Not to be able to realize the benefits of belong to a group that looks out for you and your family

Union definition: "A combination so formed, especially an alliance or confederation of people, parties, or political entities for mutual interest or benefit"

Every doctor,every lawyer,every teacher,every realtor,every police officer, every professional baseball payer,every professional football player,every professional basketball player,every professional umpire,every dentist belongs to a organization or association to that offers help and support to that individual or group. Our country is full of professional associations that take dues form their members.

But if a worker joins a group to help themselves. That person becomes a low life dirty dog. This starts with industry and people who are ignorant of Unions and of the real work place.

Jobs are moved over seas to the cheapest labor cost and less government control..... Does that mean that we who work with our hands,our brains and our hearts have to make third world wages? Does this mean that we have to work in a unsafe environment? Do we have to sacrifice our health, our bodies and our loved ones? There is always someone who will work cheaper, with less safety and less concern about our environment. Just look at big business..... The owners of mines,factories and companies who are fined or arrested each year for pollution,safety violations,harassment,lying,endangering their employees. The Coe's that steal hundreds of millions of dollars from their companies and stock holders. If you think Unions are corrupted? You hand better take a good look at big business. The IRS does?

Today we need organization of Labor more than ever.

Unions .... "The people who brought you the weekends"

Union Millwright and Damn Proud Of It Ron Oliver

Reply to
Millwright Ron

Exactly why I chose a profession that was not unionized. I wanted more money, better benefits, and better retirement.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Hi Ron,

The reasons for peoples thoughts and actions are based on their own life experiences. Your union experience (and mine) have been positive while many are negative; I'm sure you won't deny there are many of the later.

Some people are driven by personal fear which is indicated by what appears to be greed, but is not. In fact, I believe on this newsgroup (may have been another?) someone stated that any extra profit he could eak (sp?) out of his business would definitly not be going to any of the people working for him. So his attitude would be: All, or as much as possible for me, and as little as possible for the people working for me. Sounds like the exact reason why unions were, and are, needed.

I agree with your conclusions concerning the effects of having no unions; my guess is we will soon be at or near many of the bench- marks from the turn of the 19th century: In fact in many areas today, where employers are allowed to cheat immigrants, we see this hap- pening now. Is anyone so naive as to believe this will not thrive without unions (as it seems government control seems to be strongly in favor of such underhanded dealings)?

People seem to have forgotten (if they ever knew thanks to the dep- lorable conditions of many school systems) the working conditions of ALL workers, (except, marginally, those who were members of some guilds) before the advent of unions made it possible for the common man to negotiate for a decent wage. If they remember some history they "don't believe it can happen here-and-now", ignoring the jobs sent overseas, the influx of foriegn, un-tarrifed (or close enough so it doesn't count) goods.

I'm afraid your darkest fears will be realized. Mostly because of slave-wage foreign competition the living conditions of the Amer- ican worker are headed downward, while at the same time exec- utive wages are jumping to all-time highs.

Makes you wonder why people can't see the obvious.

dennis in nca compitition

Reply to
rigger

[...]

Each generation has feared for their children, and each generation has somehow survived it all. How long can it go on? I don't know. If you're into ancient prophecy, not long. If you're into reality, not long. We're not between a rock and a hard place re: fossil fuels. We are in the crusher. We are not between a rock and a hard place re: planet degradation. We are in the crusher.

My only personal consolation is that I know I don't have a long time left, and that I have made peace with my own belief system. (Hope that is PC enough for you sticklers.)

I do fear much for my children. And my grandchildren.

I have enough for my lifetime, and enough to leave some for the next. Until then, it can do what it wants. I don't give a f*ck. All these liberals and idiots can wallow in what they have created.

Enjoy.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Our labor unions are not narrow, self-seeking groups. They have raised wages, shortened hours, and provided supplemental benefits. Through collective bargaining and grievance procedures, they have brought justice and democracy to the shop floor. President John F. Kennedy, 1962

All Doctors belong to the Medical Association.. Guess what? That is a Union.. Millwright Ron

Reply to
Millwright Ron

You either do not know very many really hard workers or you are a liar. Some people will lie about anything. Especially if the can lie and make a bonus or get some else's job. Over the last 35 years as a supervisor of Union Millwrights I have had some really bad ones and I fired them. The biggest majority were hard working individuals who were proud of their Trade and It showed. They made money for the company that they worked for, they did it safe and they did it in a timely manner.

Non-producers,liars and trouble makers did not last long on my jobs.

Millwright Ron

Reply to
Millwright Ron

Yes, that may be true, but a w**re, by any other name, is still a w**re.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Sorry mate, that just isn't true. When was the last time you say the AMA take their membership out on strike for higher wages?

Bruce-in-Bangkok (Note:displayed e-mail address is a spam trap)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

To be pedantic, the AMA most resembles a Medieval Guild, not a union.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

MR, As a physician, I can tell you that the American Medical Association is NOT a union and doctors DO NOT have to join. Given the definition above, and granting that this is your understanding of a union, I can assure you that it is one of the most inept and impractical of associations. As a practical matter, our hours have increased, our wages have dramatically decreased, no one protects poorly-trained doctors. There is no collective bargaining, no union benefits, no strike protections. The AMA is not what you think it is!

Rich

Reply to
rich brenz

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Union definition: "A combination so formed, especially an alliance or confederation of people, parties, or political entities for mutual interest or benefit"

I did not say they you are required to join a union or an association or to pay dues to a union or association. But if you do join.....You meet the requirements above.. Also it does not have to be a good union or association and it can be as you say"it is one of the most inept and impractical of associations". It is an association. Therefore Its meets the minimum requirements.

Reply to
Millwright Ron

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:24:17 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

They're also a heavy good-old-boy network who looks out for its own, even if the fidiot they're protecting kills again and again.

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I could never be in a position where I worked for the union and the sent me to a job. That is the lowest form of deprivation possible and takes all iniative away from the workers.

Reply to
sparky

Funny, my dictionary gives the following among others:

An organization of employees formed to bargain with the employer

For Association it says, among others:

A formal organization of people or groups of people

Sounds different to me.

Bruce-in-Bangkok (Note:remove underscores from address for reply)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

You couldn't stand the competition?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

=========== I would be more inclined to suggest they bought a suit and went into management, but that's just my perspective....

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:11:17 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, F. George McDuffee quickly quoth:

I just read a passage in my current book which felt like that.

After Zaa has said something remarkably savvy... Jeff: "How come I'm the administrator and you're the maintenance guy?" Zaa: "Simple. You're not smart enough for maintenance."

Now, would you guys please plonk this troll and move on?

-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What book would this be?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:30:06 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Jon Anderson quickly quoth:

It's a compilation of short SF stories from 2003 titled _Year's Best SF8_. The story is called "Shields of Mars" by Gene Wolfe. Another really good one is "Geropods" by Robert Onopa. I had tears of laughter from that one. Read it to your parents. ;)