Union Millwrights

It alway killed me, when interviewing prospective service dept. employees for our N/C machinery manufacturing facility, how many office types thought they could master the position when it was obvious they had nowhere near the skill level to do so. Many touted their vast "experience" at managing groups of people in associated areas, but were unable to answer the simplest of technical questions, were they electrical, mechanical, pneumatic, or hydraulic.

I always thought it was a "generation" issue because most of the truly qualified applicants were older but soon revised my thinking when I found a source of people willing to learn at the local Junior College.

I can guarentee you the answer: "Simple. You're not smart enough for maintenance" is not necessarily out-of-line.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Thanks, I'll go hunt down a copy.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:56:43 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, rigger quickly quoth:

Newp. I agreed with it wholeheartedly. Admins are not technical. The only problem is that techies don't usually have the people skills for administration, either.

-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:23:48 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Jon Anderson quickly quoth:

There are nearly two dozen _good_ stories in the 1.5" thick book, so I haven't yet figured out what the "SF8" means. It's edited by David G. Hartwell.

-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Eighth annual edition.

Just to make things confusing, there's also a series called "Year's Best Science Fiction", which has been running something like a decade longer.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

And they're both "killer."

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

That's not the way it works for most, just some guys at the "hall". Most carpenters have a card and work for the same contractor on a regular basis. Some work in a manner very close to being an independent subcontractor. Men that specialize in suspended ceilings and can install a lot in a day work on a square footage basis, but have union cards.

Reply to
ATP*