Very cool engine

That's the one. Couldn't remember the new name. Jetex has a brain cell of it's own - since about 6 years old.

I have a dozen or more plans for Rapier / Jetex power. Maybe some day...

I still have fun with basic rubber band power. They make no noise at all - other than the laughter of the kids (of all ages)

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

Yeah, I had several Jetexes. The actually were rockets, with come kind of oxidizer in the fuel pellets. They were heavy little suckers but they were reliable. I made a balsa glider powered with one and it burned up spectacularly at about 100 feet of altitutde.

I also used one on a little three-runner sled I made when I was about 11, which I ran on the pond next to my house. It was fast. My buddy lashed an Estes model rocket onto it and drove it through the side of his garage. d8-)

I've been hearing about these miniature turbojets and they sound like amazing pieces of work.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If you ever get a chance to see one run, take ear plugs AND muffs.

Reply to
cavelamb

Or the 16-cylinder 1.5-liter W BRM

Reply to
RBnDFW

Yeah, if they have a rotary-valve solution that seals tight, that's not too expensive, and that really lasts, it could be a very big deal.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ed, I am a gearhead and I never heard of this either, but I spent some time in studying this in detail and it is amazing and yet simple, although the seal IS seriously high tech. The seal screams for a ceramic solution and they are keeping that solution in reserve. I think this holds incredible potential in performance, fuel efficiency and cost. I think you will see these next in outboard motors. Multi-cylinder variations are some ways down the road, but I see those problems being addressed in the future economically as well. Steve

little piece of machinery worth looking into.

being prepared for field use by the US Army:

They've made available a 7-year-old SAE paper

rotary-valve engines over the years, that's where most

than just another weird engine curiosity.

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

One of the fellows at work saw the UAV in question this morning. It's a screamer. The characterization was gargantuan leaf blower.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

At a tractor show in Caledonia, ON. some years ago, a guy had a radial diesel tank engine - impressive. At the same show, someone had an X-8 flat head, water cooled aircraft engine supposedly an experimental Ford product. It was mostly a rusty lump of cast iron, nowhere near having any moving parts; I have never found any further information on this particular engine. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Was that the Caterpillar corncob engine from WWII? My father-in-law worked on that. It was a great engine, but it had so much torque that it kept twisting off the transmission input shafts, so it wasn't used.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Sorry but I don't recall many details other than it was somewhere around 6 feet in diameter. This was around 1980. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller