WAY OT: pushing data bits

THANKS ROGER!

This is a file I hadn't found. It seems to record the serial number but not temp. on first run:

DS1822 Data

Serial Number : 0000002488F0 Checksum : 6C

Raw Input : 0000010101010000

Temp C : 85°° Temp F : 185°

I had just a 1/2 hour to play this morning. An ice cube on the sensor or blowing on the sensor doesn't change the reading.

Between this program and the above discussion, there almost proof that sensor is not receiving the command to "convertemperature"

A problem is solved by continually narrowing the scope.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Why don't you ask on news:sci.electronics.design?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ordered last

up in spring.

Reading the responses, I'm glad I didn't wait for the PicKit3.

Wes

Wes

Why? Just because the PICKit2 works better and cost less?

:-)

MicroChip is sending me a replacement for my PICKit 3, hopefully this one works correctly.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Reply to
Don Foreman

Found something that might be of interest to you, expands your I/O, and the app. note if for a keypad and LCD.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

This is about a year later. That is pathetic. Light years in electronics.

Wes

Wes

Karl, you can't assume that 3rd-party IP that you pay tens of thousands of dollars for is correct. Given that, you _certainly_ can't assume that some cruddy code that you get for free off the net is correct.

Apps engineers are generally fresh out of school, working at the requisite 'two years experience programming in ...' so they can get a real job (so kids -- make sure to get those internships!).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Ditto. For this task the cheapest digital scope that you can find may be better than a fancy analog one -- it's nice to be able to capture the whole transaction once and spend your time looking at it.

That having been said, I've done a lot of this sort of debugging with analog scopes.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I've been using digital scopes for decades and still have a little trouble figuring out new ones, most recently a LeCroy. You really have to know what you should be seeing to confirm that the scope is set right, and isn't aliasing or triggering on some glitch.

My wild guess was that the problem is power or levels or slow risetime or such, all easily seen on an analog scope without examining the whole bit stream. If those check out the transmission can be broken into short loops for closer examination. Once you know that each block of code produces the correct output a digital scope is valuable to look where the target should reply.

I'd send the simplest command that should get a response, IOW a 'ping', which is why I suggested the ROM code. If you have a second trigger output you can move it around the data stream and magnify the area of interest on the analog scope display. With a digital scope you can use it to mark a position within a long data stream, since otherwise tracking your place in several feet of captured data scrolling across the small screen window is very difficult.

I own a 25MHz Phillips analog and a 1G HP digital scope. I almost always use the analog one because the HP is so awkward to operate.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 06:12:32 -0800 (PST), the infamous Jim Wilkins scrawled the following:

Jim, what windage and elevation click settings are you using? Your target should never be able to reply if they're set correctly.

-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Usually they reply with a flick of the tail as they run out of sight. This is shotgun / muzzleloader / bow country, the underbrush is too dense for a scope anyway.

Target in this case means the device being addressed, or programmed.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

If it has clicks, it's a digital scope, right?

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 23:17:36 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

Damned literalists. You're not supposed to be _thinking_ here. Just enjoy the joke, will ya? ;)