What is it? LXXVI

OK, if you don't even know, here is my _wild_ guess: You know, that masses do "radiate" gravity. It can be shown (in any class room) how two masses attract each other. Maybe this is for that experiment. The needles scribe onto some carbon paper or the like. But my -I say it again- wild theory requires that on the other end there should be a means to put some thread through (like with a needle).

I remember that experimet having made, but there was a different setup. So I may be _way_ _off_!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Nope, not for use on cattle, for that matter it's not really for use on anything.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Negative ion generator.

Lump

Reply to
Lumpy

Hmm ... are the brass balls mostly solid, or hollow? (There may be a hole through if the "scribes" are a single piece, but you need to have a *lot* of mass for this kind of experiment to show results.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

436: A spindle for receipts and such.

437: Chess pawn (from the bottom).

438: I'll agree with the previous poster, used for making shingles.

439: Motion sensor.

440: Would appear to work with some other device which would presumably have the cylinder for the piston. Perhaps a cattle-slaughtering tool where the rest of it is removable or disposable. 441: Perhaps for thatching, or seeding.
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

I used to use a pair of balls like these - no points as voltage regulators. At a certain separation - as the current arcs between the balls - defines a voltage. The angle of the surface - the diameter of the ball... - determines the sharpness and current density at the two near points. Lots of neat Physics floating in those balls.

They are for the most part decoration however in this mode, the current might burn the tip as it flows down and hits the ball - the charge flows over the surface and changes current density...

The ball sits on the mounting rod - into a holder - likely brass or bronze and it has the heavy cable to ground.

Really, they are current sources - sending streams of electrons looking for a down strike.

R.H. wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

A variation on this idea has been offered in the comments on my site, it was suggested that it could be a puncture test device, possibly for roofing materials, but I couldn't verify this on the web.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

This one isn't an ion generator.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

is it a welding torch (welding machine)?

-mike

Reply to
mike

It has nothing to do with welding, as I mentioned it's not tool related so it isn't used for any type of task.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

It's not an air rifle or BB gun, nor does it spray water as others have guessed, but you're right about the left part being a trigger.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Lumpy:

R.H.:

Toy Ray Gun?

Lump

Reply to
Lumpy

The owner of this one says that the balls are solid, and that it's 9" tall to the top of the rods.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

O.K. That would be about 4-5" diameter for the larger of the two balls, I guess.

That *might* be enough to see the gravitational deflection of the smaller as the larger approaches -- with magnification examining the point at the bottom of the suspended smaller ball. And this would require some rather low-friction suspension -- perhaps a piece of thin music wire a few feet long attached to the upper end of the rod.

But I'm not at all sure that this is the *intended* function of these balls. I would love to know what they turn out to be.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Have we determined if the balls/rods, when in use, remain in the wooden frame? Or is the frame simply a display fixture?

Lumpy

Reply to
Lumpy

Nothing about this one has been determined for sure. According to the owner there is no wear visible on the wood, so this set was either for display purposes or was used outside of the frame.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.