where's all the political slagging-match gone?!

Hi all I always thought of the political slagging matches on here - the "off-topic" posts - were a nuisance - "signal" on the group being less
than 1/100th part of the "noise" - even though what "signal" there was was high quality. Wondered how long the newsgroup could keep going. Now the feed I am getting from r.c.m. has gone quiet. Surely Americans haven't suddenly started accepting anyone who isn't identical to themselves????????????? With caveat "And God makes me right"... Oh well, strange times.
For anyone interested in technical questions - can anyone identify / tell me about this fatigue-testing machine?
It's at the University of Ibague in Columbia (the nation in South America), and the results they get certainly look both right and good.
(PDF download) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322292485_Weld_Magnification_Factor_Approach_in_Cruciform_Joints_Considering_Post_Welding_Cooling_Medium_and_Weld_Size (online) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5793579/
seen as "Figure 3" in both versions - PDF download and online
They list things like "pulley sizes" and so on - it's some kind of purely mechanical device (?) Completely unfamiliar to me. I'm interested, because they are doing a lot for not a lot.
(Article: "Weld Magnification Factor Approach in Cruciform Joints Considering Post Welding Cooling Medium and Weld Size" Oscar Araque and Nelson Arzola)
Best wishes, Rich Smith
"Richard Smith" wrote in message

The only thing I can add is that these allow you to measure and record (on a PC) temperature up to 1260C. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Wood stove gasket cement tames the extreme tendency of high temperature braided fiber insulation to unravel. 24 gauge is less annoyingly springy than larger sizes and adequate for brief experiments. If it burns out it can easily be renewed by cutting shorter and welding the ends together with acetylene.
I have no experience with strain gages, and my only professional experience with tensile strength testing was an after-school job in the lab of a leather factory. They were trying to find synthetic substitutes for industrial leather products, which was surprisingly difficult.
On 6/14/2021 12:02 AM, Richard Smith wrote:

I suspect many of the trolls have fallen off due to the lack of reaction. I personally only read this group for metal working content. Any threads that I'm not interested in now get the "k"ill key. I don't see them or any of the ongoing combative replies afterwards.
Now, this is a great opportunity to insult my ancestry, intelligence and manner of dress as this thread will very likely get kill keyed in short order.
https://www.avg.com
I was in many ways being facetious. I have a "k" key action on my newsreader. Like seeing your posts. Rich S
On 6/17/2021 12:19 AM, Richard Smith wrote:

Aaah! I was half expecting to told I was ugly and my mother dresses me funny. (I picked these clothes myself.)
https://www.avg.com
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On 6/17/2021 12:19 AM, Richard Smith wrote:

Aaah! I was half expecting to told I was ugly and my mother dresses me funny. (I picked these clothes myself.)
As for the ancestors:
http://www.macroevolution.net/human-origins.html