Interesting, in the race for the bottom, we get the benefit of Chinese
business practices. Cool.
I was in a shop that had a goodly number of breech blocks cast over
in China, but most had problems with pinholes. Think of the liability of
trying to use them, knowing the block may have voids... Liability
waiting to happen. End result - the blocks were scrapped IIRC.
One thing to remember about US manufactured stuff is that it's US
laws that give you rights to expect good stuff, and if it's defective,
the maker usually has to eat the items. Unless it's something for the
government (like software) in which case we take it in the shorts...
Interesting reports of Chinese manufacturers being given product to
spec for quotes, then somehow that product gets churned out by other
shops... There is a move to reduce the protection of US patents to 18
What I expect generally, when I look at Chinese goods, is that their
makers are not trying to be good and honest, but instead to get away
with as much as they possibly can.
People who put lead paint on children's toys that are used by toddlers
or even infants (as are those wooden Thomas trains), have no
If the Chinese don't watch out, they are going to get such a reputation that
few will buy from them. Japan had the same issues as far as quality many
years ago and did something about it. I wonder if China will learn from the
I suspect Chinese based companies with ties to foreign partners have higher
quality levels. As much as corporations get maligned, the last thing they
want is lawsuit city in US courts.
More food for thought:
The Chinese Manufacturer isn't going to be held responsible.
They will weasel out of it as usual.
On Jun 28, 10:15 am, Ignoramus11334 <ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
I am not going to justify the painting of children's toys with paint
containing lead. I think something else is going on here. Recently an
article in the local Bend, Oregon paper warned about the lead in TV
tubes that could leach into the environment. They offered no scheme as
to how this could occur, since the lead is dispersed in the glass.
This is the same scheme the government uses to dispose of long lasting
radio active material and they claim it will be there millions of
years from now. They also warned about the mercury in the switches of
the TV sets! I don't think I have ever seen a TV with mercury
There are many other products that contain lead and the
environmentalists never mention them. Brass plumbing fixtures contain
lead, but the only mention is on the package or instructions relating
to California. We all know leaded steel will release the lead when it
Recently, someone reported lead being leached out of the cover
material of a child's car seat. This was news for a day, then
disappeared. Why was no more investigation done? All flexible PVC
contains lead. Including the common insulation on electrical wires,
such as extension cords, line cords on appliances, the wires in your
automobile, etc. Why is this not being reported?
So, do we know how much lead a child can get from a toy train? Is it
enough to hurt them? Is it in a form that can hurt them? No, we don't.
All we know is it came from China.
Sorry,but I just had to get that off my chest!
Paul in Redmond, OR
I am not aware of children gnawing on TV CRT tubes or on plumbing
fittings, but they can easily eat lead off Thomas trains.
I agree with you, though, that lead in glass is not a hazard. I highly
approve of glassification of nuclear waste.
co firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Speak for yourself. Your ignorance is your own fault; don't presume that
others share it. The hazards to children of ingesting lead-based paint are
well-established and have been widely known for at least thirty years.
You apparently don't have any children of your own, and have never closely
observed anyone else's either, or you would know that little kids put
*everything* in their mouths. And chew on it. If the objects are painted, they
*will* wind up ingesting some paint.
Again, speak for yourself. That may be all that *you* know. *I* know that U.S.
law prohibits the production, sale, or import of toys, cribs, cradles, and
other children's products that use leaded paints, and with good reason,
namely, the well-established and widely known hazard of lead ingestion. It
doesn't matter whether it came from China or Vermont -- lead in a child's toy
is dangerous. And it's illegal.
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:39:59 -0700, co email@example.com wrote:
Lead in glass does indeed leach out in acidic environments. This is
why lead glazes on plates, bowls, etc is a hazard. Different glasses
will allow different amounts to leach out. Leaded crystral glassware
leaches lead into acidic solutions like wine for example. The
vitrification process used to bind nuclear waste does not use the same
type of glass that used for TV tubes or glassware. I don't know what
kind of glass TV tubes are made of but I do know that lead leaches
from them and this is one of the big contributers of lead in
landfills. And the amount of lead required to do permanent brain
damage to infants and children is miniscule.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:39:59 -0700, co firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
There are pushes to close shooting ranges because of the Deadly Lead
left behind in spent bullets.
Think there is a link?
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Somebody said, but because of the maze of post/repost bullshit, I don't want
to even try to link it to the proper person:
The Gun Store on East Tropicana in Las Vegas now has rules in place
outlawing many types of common ammunition in favor of the frangible types.
Of course, they sell these frangibles. At heavily inflated prices.
I'll just continue to go out in the desert and shoot. In the areas that
haven't been closed by the cactus huggers, that is.
And what's the harm in lead left behind in spent bullets? It lays there
like smoked cigarette butts. Unless, like unsupervised toddlers, you're
left alone to chew on it, or you're too stupid to know the difference? Or
you're trying to become a liberal poster child................"Look what
happened to me when I chewed on 3,495 spent lead projectiles."
Ah. I love liberalism.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:15:41 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
As long as "It's for the Children!" that's good. 'Course, we all
survived lead, mercury, asbestos, dust, smoke, fireworks, hot rods,
metal- and woodworking machines, skydiving, alcohol, drugs, fights,
loose women, and all the rest of the stuff that's verboten nowadays.
I suppose all this worry will limit the population once the little
darlings go out into the real world and get munched, because nobody
taught them physics, common sense, or street smarts in school or at
home. They will all be protected out of existence, Darwin style.
So be it.
- Metaphors Be With You -
When I was a kid, I had a strange hobby of casting lead, whenever
myparents would leaveme alone, I would be either extracting lead from
old batteries, or casting.
I probably was hurt by it, though, apparently, not much.
Now, eating lead paint is much worse than lead casting.
Also, not "all" people survived such things, my friend is missing an
eye due to some stupid childhood shit.
I can remember all that stuff. Playing with mercury. Making lead sinkers
for duck decoys out of old wheel weights. All the usual stuff. I
definitely know I ain't normal, but I lived through it. Now they go into
lockdown if anyone so much as breaks a mercury thermometer. Sheesh.
And there's something to be said about a parent who gives a toddler young
enough to put everything you put into their hands into their mouths, and
then leave them alone to chew on it for long enough to take the paint off of
I think there's a lot of room here for the subject of stupid, unobservant,
uncaring parents, too.
Then after the kids injured, sue, sue, sue.
BTW, thanks Ig. Got your pkg, and all is well. Been busy moving to a new
Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.