Subject Author Posted Replies

Stages of a proposal
I went to one of my regular, but occasional customers, last week. They have a CNC machine, the fluid cooler isn't working properly. The stages of the proposal seem to be: Shop guy calls me out, and...

Hammer ID marks?
Ive been cleaning up my tools, putting new handles on the (rather large) number of hammer heads Ive aquired over the last few years..and was cleaning up a 4lb shop hammer head and noticed it was...
4
4

How to set up a frequently used bandsaw
I am foreseeing a project that will see a lot of bandsawing. Right now my setup has a bandsaw, a T shaped support on one side, and the cutoffs fall into a wooden box. I am not really satisfied with...
8
8

Dies
Enerpac makes or used to make a press for just that. Thet show up on ebay from time to time. Best Regards Tom.
3
3

Hydraulic fluid cooler question
I've been asked to fix a hydraulic fluid cooler. Looks like about a 5 gal tank of fluid, probably a CNC machine. The compressor is three phase 200 volts, not sure the amps. Can't find number plate....
8
8

Why do they use 4140 for gun barrels?
That steel can get incredibly hard if it gets hot, but the barrels are not very hard at all. Why pay extra for tool steel? TIA
6
6

Asparagus soup recipe
As promised here's the recipe: 1 lb asparagus 1.5 cups chicken stock 4 tbs chopped shallots 1 cup milk or1/2 & 1/2 2.5 tbs butter 2 tbs flour 1/3 cup shelled pistachios Salt and pepper to taste Throw...
15
15

Allowance for anodizing
I have some Aluminum parts, 7075 T6, for machining and will anodize at home using the sulfuric acid / battery charger method, or a variation. For the tight tolerance parts, do I need to machine, ream,...
8
8

Children and weapons
http://victory.rusarchives.ru/img/photos/526_1506772992_big.jpg
8
8

Vacuum cleaner principles
don't reinvent the wheel. Use a centrifical separator. I have a 7.5 horse vacuum for a shop with this ahead of the motor/vacuum assembly.
9
9

Tail Stock Die Holder
I'm just finishing up a lathe tail stock die holder, and I am wondering about adding a handle. I'm torn between making it a slip fit or making it screw in. Ideas? Suggestions?
11
11

OT-made some very good soup
Greetings Cooks, I know there are several folks here who like to cook. So I thought that there might be some interest for this. I like cream of asparagus soup and was making some last night and...
12
12

Drywall-type screws with true 82 deg head?
Awl -- I'm a big fan of coarse thread drywall screws, for mounting metal to wood (indoors), or even deck screws, but the head is not an 82 deg c-sink, in fact, the underside is curved. Can I get a...
11
11

Semi-OT: One expensive piece of aloonimum
Think they'll sell many of these PsOS? In designing a new scooter, Swiss company Cycon looked to a new geometrical form. Instead of basing the scooter on hard lines and angles, they made it circular....
2
2

Arc Welding: Inverter vs Transformer
Seems like inverters have trouble taking current surges, so there's a load bearing problem. (aluminum or not)
4
4