Chris Heapy's site adds blocked by Norton

I still try occasionally to set Norton up to allow the adds page on Chris Heapy's adds page but still no luck.

when I try and add the addressee from the header bar

I get the following note.

"The name you entered contains invalid characters. Site names can only include alpha-numeric characters, periods,hyphens,and underscores"

Has anyone cracked this issue?

Regards

Steve Larner

Reply to
Steve Larner

Steve What version of Norton are you running that blocks the site? I used to run Norton Internet Security, but it caused so many problems that I ditched it. If you want a firewall on your PC, try ZoneAlarm, it's definately better behaved than NIS. I run a 'real' firewall, a separate PC running Linux and the inbuilt firewall software and have had no security problems since I started using it. Cost is 1 old PC which would have gone to the tip + 2 NICs. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

The only real solution is for me to remove all instances of the letter combination "ads" in all the filenames. It's Symatec's crude and simplistic approach that irritates me (like all pop-up adverts on the web will have 'ads' in them, Yeah right.) It's even more irritating that you can't simply disable ad blocking - the program leads you to think you can but it doesn't work.

I'll see how far I can get with it this weekend, there are a lot of embedded links to sort out.

A direct link to the index page is here:

ChrisH

Reply to
ChrisH

Link now changed:

I've also renamed the engineering ads pages and links, hopefully that will sort the Norton problem...

Reply to
ChrisH

We have used Zone Alarm Pro for a year now, just coming up to first subscription renewal, and it is definitely far ahead of anything else in its effectiveness, but it also needs a bit of setting up and occasional tweak to overcome the odd instance where you need to get around something.

Cookies are the things that we have to control manually the most, especially for the smaller sites we visit.

Like a lot of these programmes, once you understand them they are OK.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Thanks very much, that has sorted things so they are fine with Norton internet security on default settings.

I hope it wasnt too much work for you.

Regards

Steve Larner.

Reply to
Steve Larner

If the content of his web site is in any way related to his gratuitous and infantile remarks in this NG, then you're better off not getting to the site!

Trust me - he could almost be an alter-ego of Stevenson!

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

I am running NORTON 2003 UPDATED 2004,have had no problems viewing Chris's site,set to default [low] level. All the best for now, John.

Reply to
john .j.morton.