How do I dismantle a Jacobs drill chuck ?

I have an old Jacobs drill chuck which is no longer smooth to tighten o

slacken probably needs taking apart and cleaning, I have stared at i for awhile and can't see how it dismantles, or does it ? Davi

-- stereotyp

----------------------------------------------------------------------- stereotype's Profile:

this thread:

stereotype

The last one I hard apart, the rotating collar (bit with the teeth in it) knocks/presses of in the direction of the jaws.

Reply to
moray

Usually find sticking the chuck in a jar of oil for a few hours or so fixes the problem. Assuming that it just lacks lube or has a bit of surface rust internally, rather than being full of muck. The only other thing is burrs on the jaw ends, which makes the chuck tight wide open.

Taking it to bits is probably overkill, unless you really want to see how it works...

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQuayle

try here :

simple once you know how :)

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

There are good instructions on the Jacobs website.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain