Magazine & books storage - suggestions pls

The perfect solution, but unfortunately the nearest 2 IKEAs are 100 + miles away. London or Nottingham. Not an option, & I cannot see any mention of mail order on their web site.

Agreed Tony. My shelves will be in one of the spare bedrooms. After seeing what happened to the cardboard boxes, I have now put everything on wood strips or pallet. This should keep the air circulating. If I do use chipboard, then I will put strips of wood underneath for support, but thinking it through, the strips would probably have to be fairly large seeing as chipboard has very little inherent strength to bending (sagging). The last time I bought any decent wood it cost an arm and a leg, so not looking forward to this exercise. Cheers GeoffH

Reply to
GeoffH

Aaargh. Pity I'm so far away. Must be an alternative in this neck of the woods. GeoffH

Reply to
GeoffH

If you put strips of wood underneath, glue and screw them to the chipboard. This has an enormous effect on the total stiffness. I have got away with putting a strip of 1 1/2"x 1/2" oak along the front of 1/2" chipboard shelves, with the strip glued to the front of the shelf and hanging down by 1". Again, this makes a good improvement to the stiffness of the shelf and eliminates 'creep'

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Zebee Johnstone wrote back on Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:12:01 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

If I am understanding this, you have two ends, a back and a top? Mix and match, stack 'em or however. Sounds cool.

I was thinking (once)of making book shelves as boxes stacked on the side. Lids attach with screws, and there you are, books all packed and ready to move. w/ a little design work, the lid boards serve as spacers between the box to create open shelving. More of a "neat idea" that I never got around to implementing.

good luck pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Be careful about the length of your shelves. Even 3 foot long could bend with the weight of your books/magazines. Also scrrewing into end-grain is not a preferred method, you could screw cleats (3/4" x 3/4") to the underside of each shelf at the ends and then screw into the sides through the cleats. Mike in British Columbia

Reply to
mcgray