Real, rhyming poems for engineers...

ISBN 978 1 903341 39 1 "Poems with prefaces for Padstow, Petersfield, Poland and Pewsham"
Former contributor to these newsgroups, G.A.Evans,
is pleased to announce the availability of his first anthology of poetry.
Poems of particular interest to the engineering fraternity include "To the OC71 transistor", "Model Engineering Exhibition", 3 poems about the old railways of Padstow, Bath and Calne, a tribute to Nev Boulton the Hon Sec of the West Wilts Society of Model Engineers, and 6 poems about Land Rover clubs.
As the blurb says,...
"Hailed as 'The New Betjeman', G.A.Evans has come up with proper poems with rhythm and rhyme about bells, railways, architecture, the City of Bath and many other topics.
If you feel that you don't understand the Free Verse that plagued the twentieth century poets, then this is the book for you".
143 pp 12-50 post paid.
Available from The Petersfield Bookshop, the One Tree Bookshop in Petersfield, from W.H.Smith in Chippenham or from the author (No plastic, sorry) at
13 Hardens Close Chippenham, Wiltshire England SN15 3AA
On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:46:38 -0000, "Trainer of those who train the trainers"

I'm awaiting the feedback on this one with pleasure. I dare say we'll get more value than 12.50 <g> -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
Following on from John Stevenson's message. . .

This'll wipe that <g> off your face
==================A Wiltshire lad [1] ==================The gas was on in the Institute, The light was on in the shack, A man was running a terrible cold, A lass was laid on her back, When G A Evans the Chippenham man, G A Evans from Chippenham, Came writing about the olden time When chips were made of germanium Writing about - Writing about - Writing about the Mullard Transistor OC Seventy-One while showing he's no dullard.
The sun shone low on the railway line Aroundabouts Bath and Colne And sat at the upstairs window Was 'GA' all alone When he saw the ghost of Betjeman, Sir John with his pen full of ink Come tripping along in a pin stripe suit For a Saturday evening drink. Sipping a drink - Sipping a drink - At the bar of the old Bull and Bush Sipping some more he fell on the floor and faded away in a rush.
There wasn't a man in Winterbourne That didn't think it a fake, And over the valley in Trowbridge, And round by Savernake, When G A Evans the Chippenham man, G A Evans from Chippenham, Made him his heir by buying him drinks And how quickly he'd been sipping 'em. Made him his heir - Made him his heir - To write technical information Paying a call at WH Smith to pick up his publication.
PS There's no intention to disparage G A Evans - That's just how the words worked out.
[1] ISTR There is a poem a bit like this called "A Shropshire lad" by some Poet Laureate or other.
--
PETER (EDWIN known as PROF) FOX
Not the same since the submarine business went under
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 14:24:06 +0000, Peter Fox wrote:

Shall we have a G. A. Evans poetry competition to take our minds of Greyrigg?
Gerald A ("Anthony") Evans Sat down at his desk and said "Heavens" Iambic pentameter's Met my parameters No need to count up to sevens.
Ian

An Airy Bean poetry competition? In which case it must be time to reprise the almost legendary saga of the Bean and the hacksaw kit, first published some two years ago. In honour of this auspicious occasion I have added a new third verse....
Not long ago in this fair, noble land stood Airy of Bean with a saw in his hand. Trying quite vainly to cut yonder steel that for e'en a child t'would've been no big deal. "Fie and a pox, why this job is a chore" cried Airy of Bean, his arms greatly sore, "I've nay half the strength of a big hairy nutter, I'm off aye to buy me a magical cutter".
Henceforth to Donnington Airy did roam o'er hill, dale and tussock - past Hobbit and Gnome, to find the much fabled Black Man of Gates with wholesomely goods at much cheaply rates. "Good trader pray help" quoth Airy of Bean "my needs are much grave for a certain machine". "I have one just here sir, a stout little hacksaw, for groats I'll deliver it right to your front door".
He reached in his tunic, all dark damp and sweaty "This'll cost me a lot, and I'm no John Paul Getty". Groat after groat did he count out with pain watching his finances shrivel and wane. At last he had paid, save one groat from the lot, and Black Man of Gates said "One more, for the pot?" But Airy of Bean had turned tail back to Chippenham, "They can get stuffed if they think that I'm tipping 'em".
Airy of Bean, his knees all a quiver did unpack his goods, with nay further dither. And then didst he shriek a fair terrible cry, through layers of sacking the beast did he spy. "What low deed is this, this base hunk of metal - what ignorant knave has buggered my fettle? I'll rant and I'll rave, I'll turn the air blue, that Black Man of Gates - why I might even sue!"
But then did a shiver strike Airy of Bean, "That Black Man of Gates is quite hefty and mean. I'll trouble him not, t'would send him in rages, I'll log on the nette and pester the Sages". So scribble he did, to groups engineering "Lis't to me now of my tales not endearing". And so they did listen, and gave this reply "Send the thing back, he`ll replace by and by".
"He won't" wailed the Bean, his ague much indignant. "He will" cried the Sages "tis written in pigment". "Weighs nigh on eight pounds" exclaimed Bean "that's quite scary!". The Sages replied "Thou art just a big fairy". So Airy of Bean, his comments rebuffed, considered his plight, feeling nay not that chuffed. "I know what I'll do, I'll show them who'll win - I'll toss the whole lot in my wastepaper bin!"
Here endeth the tale of Airy of Bean but something's not right, or so it would seem. Why shell out good groats for an item that's faulty then chuck it away, in a mood foul and haughty? Can it be true, was it really that bad, is Airy of Bean aye really that sad? No-one will know, for it lies in a bucket.... was it just broken...or did he just fuck it.
Regards,
www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Yea, verily, a modern classic, forsooth...
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:09:45 +0000, Stephen Howard

Although I was mostly a lurker when Airy was in his pomp I can't understand how I missed this superb saga, most entertaining. Have I also missed the sequel re his run in with the evil men of the Sheriff of Chippenham, or is that a pleasure to come? Hope so this was really good. Now a collection like this really would be worth 12.50.
Regards
Keith

Excellent parody, Peter.
I can't tell whether you knew this and are just joshing us, but if not (and for the benefit of anyone else who may be interested) it is based on a poem "A Shropshire Lad" by John Betjeman, which was itself a parody of "A Shropshire Lad" by A E Housman. Betjeman's poem was based on Capt Matthew Webb, the first man to swim the English Channel, and himself a Black Country boy.
The performance by Betjeman of his own poems set to music, including this one, on "Banana Blush" (B&C Records CAS 1086, issued 1974) is well worth listening to if you get a chance.
My own favourite poem/song involving engineering is "The Engineers Story", an infamous rugby song much too indelicate for polite society - which mean it would be OK here, but I can't be arsed to type it out....
David
--
David Littlewood

writes Very Big Snip

Would the words below cover the subject? http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hityke/leos5a.htm#engineers
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

Yep; even more verses than I remembered!
David
--
David Littlewood

but still wrong!
The verse shown as
In and out went the prick of steel, Up and out went the level of steam.
should be
In and out went the prick of steel Round and round went the bl**dy great wheel
Up and up went the level of steam Down and down went the level of cream

--
Jane
OO and DCC in the garden

You must've been there then ;-)
Regards, Tony

Yes, you're right; I don't think I read it all through. Always the problem when you think you know something!
David
--
David Littlewood

Many thanks for the link Dave, i thought me kegs would never dry, Dav
-- DCree ----------------------------------------------------------------------- DCreed's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u 434 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?te217

DON'T TEASE.............................
. -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Linked off the good Ms. Hotdesking's site. Danger: may offend, over 18s only etc..
http://www.armadillo.net/llewtrah/engineers-song.html
--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting

Even more amusing variations.... Thanks for the link.
David
--
David Littlewood

On Mar 6, 9:58 am, snipped-for-privacy@aber.ac.uk (Andrew Robert Breen) wrote:

Some clean engineering verse here: http://www.messybeast.com/dragonqueen/dragonqueen-index.htm#parodies
Sarah Hotdesking

Is that clean as in "clean room" or clean as in "wiped down with an oily rag", or is it indelicate to ask?
I have a picture of another Great Closed Maritime Museum for you, BTW (Porthmadoc, March 2007..)
--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting
On Mar 15, 10:28 am, snipped-for-privacy@aber.ac.uk (Andrew Robert Breen) wrote:

Clean as in "safe to view from work".

I've been to some open non-naval museums lately!