Real, rhyming poems for engineers...

ISBN 978 1 903341 39 1 "Poems with prefaces for Padstow, Petersfield, Poland and Pewsham"

Former contributor to these newsgroups, G.A.Evans, is pleased to announce the availability of his first anthology of poetry.

Poems of particular interest to the engineering fraternity include "To the OC71 transistor", "Model Engineering Exhibition", 3 poems about the old railways of Padstow, Bath and Calne, a tribute to Nev Boulton the Hon Sec of the West Wilts Society of Model Engineers, and 6 poems about Land Rover clubs.

As the blurb says,...

"Hailed as 'The New Betjeman', G.A.Evans has come up with proper poems with rhythm and rhyme about bells, railways, architecture, the City of Bath and many other topics.

If you feel that you don't understand the Free Verse that plagued the twentieth century poets, then this is the book for you".

143 pp £12-50 post paid.

Available from The Petersfield Bookshop, the One Tree Bookshop in Petersfield, from W.H.Smith in Chippenham or from the author (No plastic, sorry) at

13 Hardens Close Chippenham, Wiltshire England SN15 3AA
Reply to
Trainer of those who train the

I'm awaiting the feedback on this one with pleasure. I dare say we'll get more value than £12.50

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Following on from John Stevenson's message. . .

This'll wipe that off your face

=================== A Wiltshire lad [1] =================== The gas was on in the Institute, The light was on in the shack, A man was running a terrible cold, A lass was laid on her back, When G A Evans the Chippenham man, G A Evans from Chippenham, Came writing about the olden time When chips were made of germanium Writing about - Writing about - Writing about the Mullard Transistor OC Seventy-One while showing he's no dullard.

The sun shone low on the railway line Aroundabouts Bath and Colne And sat at the upstairs window Was 'GA' all alone When he saw the ghost of Betjeman, Sir John with his pen full of ink Come tripping along in a pin stripe suit For a Saturday evening drink. Sipping a drink - Sipping a drink - At the bar of the old Bull and Bush Sipping some more he fell on the floor and faded away in a rush.

There wasn't a man in Winterbourne That didn't think it a fake, And over the valley in Trowbridge, And round by Savernake, When G A Evans the Chippenham man, G A Evans from Chippenham, Made him his heir by buying him drinks And how quickly he'd been sipping 'em. Made him his heir - Made him his heir - To write technical information Paying a call at WH Smith to pick up his publication.

PS There's no intention to disparage G A Evans - That's just how the words worked out.

[1] ISTR There is a poem a bit like this called "A Shropshire lad" by some Poet Laureate or other.
Reply to
Peter Fox

Hailed by whom, precisely?

Proper poems with rhythm and rhyme, eh? I do hope there is one about string backed driving gloves

What's so difficult about free verse? Can you only understand things in rhyming couplets? If so, newspapers must be a real pain to read.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Shall we have a G. A. Evans poetry competition to take our minds of Greyrigg?

Gerald A ("Anthony") Evans Sat down at his desk and said "Heavens" Iambic pentameter's Met my parameters No need to count up to sevens.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Hailed as in hailstones, by any chance? Hopefully ones the size of hens' eggs...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I thought his cognomen was "Airy"?

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Not the bloke with the ham radio obsession?

I just made up the "Anthony" to scan - I thought the Great Man would approve.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Why? You didn't bother with making the last line scan.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Trainer of those who train the trainers (or somebody else of the same name) wrote thusly in message :

I remember the OC71 well. Still got one somewhere.

Reply to
Prai Jei

And there was me thinking OC71 was either an Old Oak Common LH set - or a typo for 0C71 light engine somwwhere further west on the WR.

-- Nick

Reply to
D7666

Scrape the black paint off and they become the OC71P photo-transistor. Made at the Mullard factory in Southampton near the Totton Roundabout. Yes I was there back in 1968 . . . . . !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

YOU ASKED FOR THIS .. :)

There was once a machinist called Stevenson who's workshop floor had never seen the sun. he'd wade through swarf one foot deep. or brush it into the corner into heap.

one day he said Ive had enough of this place and thought, this is all a bloody rat race so doors are locked,and he's off down the boozer sinks ten pints down,followed by a vodka cruiser

next day ,head thumping,its back to work driving his old truck,wishing twas a merc. says bollocks to this and puts foot down. races past his shop and back to into town.

two days later he's still on a bender. and trying to tap-off with the opposite gender. Gert comes in,and says get back to work. or it be...............................

carry it on guys...

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

In article , Peter Fox writes

Excellent parody, Peter.

I can't tell whether you knew this and are just joshing us, but if not (and for the benefit of anyone else who may be interested) it is based on a poem "A Shropshire Lad" by John Betjeman, which was itself a parody of "A Shropshire Lad" by A E Housman. Betjeman's poem was based on Capt Matthew Webb, the first man to swim the English Channel, and himself a Black Country boy.

The performance by Betjeman of his own poems set to music, including this one, on "Banana Blush" (B&C Records CAS 1086, issued 1974) is well worth listening to if you get a chance.

My own favourite poem/song involving engineering is "The Engineers Story", an infamous rugby song much too indelicate for polite society - which mean it would be OK here, but I can't be arsed to type it out....

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

writes Very Big Snip

for the benefit of anyone else who may be interested)

parody of "A Shropshire Lad" by A E Housman.

English Channel, and himself a Black Country boy.

on "Banana Blush" (B&C Records CAS 1086, issued

infamous rugby song much too indelicate for polite

Would the words below cover the subject?

Dave Croft

DON'T TEASE.............................

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

They did until Mullard realised that they could charge extra for the OC71P and started using an opaque filler :-(

Still got a baccy tin full of OC71s, OC81s, AF117s and OC28s. Don't know why though.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Oh yes I did:

The first stress in the last line is on the "no":

Gerald A ("Anthony") Evans Tum-ti-ti Tum-ti-ti Tum-ti

Sat down at his desk and said "Heavens" ti Tum-ti-ti Tum-ti-ti Tum-ti

Iambic pentameter's ti Tum-ti-ti Tum-ti-ti

Met my parameters Tum-ti-ti Tum-ti-ti

No need to count up to sevens. Tum-ti-ti Tum-ti-ti Tum-ti.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

We've got a Mullard on our pond...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

In article , Dave Croft writes

Yep; even more verses than I remembered!

David

Reply to
David Littlewood