zeus book

When I was at Harrogate show I enquired about a zeus engineers book

was quoted £6.50 by one of the major tool suppliers which I thought wa very expensive, needless to say I didn't buy one. Today I was a Cromwell tools shop near me and I bought one of their data books for £ which I think was more informative than the zeus book and also coate with a high gloss finish After this I dont think I will buy another zeus book unless it it is lot cheaper than the cromwells pocket reference book. Does anyone kno of any better small pocket books we may be ignorant of. MB

-- malbenbu

----------------------------------------------------------------------- malbenbut's Profile:

this thread:

malbenbut

I think the problem is with the Zeus books is that it's a private printing and being plastic covered they probably can't get a good price per run.

To be honest I think the older ones were better. Think it used to say Metric revision on the front. Really old ones had no metric, metric revision had metric in and the modern ones have cut back on some of the older but still used info.

Easiest way to check is look at the BA charts, modern ones just have simple blurb size, tapping, clearance etc. Metric revision copy has BA with pitch's diameter and the rest.

Not a big lover of Cromwell since they ripped me off £440 for a set of broaches that J&L did for £240 but I may pop in and see what they have.

Biggest trouble with our local branch is they never carry stock, everything is on overnight when you order so it's two trips to get anything.

Dormers used to do a decent one on drill and taps.

Starrret used to do a small hard back book on bandsaw blades that was ideal for packing out the guide rollers to stop the blade wandering off.

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Bloody hell. Had a quick look on Cromwell's site as I had forgot to order some 3mm allen keys from RS tonight. Now people say RS is expensive but at least they sell decent stuff. One hundred

3mm hex keys would have cost me £13.20 less vat, Cromwell want £22.68 for a no name brand. J&L want £17.00

Must still think they are lord protector.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

The reference book is the only thing I've bought from Cromwells as

also think they are expensive however they sometimes have a basket wit cheap end of the line bits and pieces in which are quite cheap. I have sets of RS hex wrenches and they are the best ones I have but RS onl cater to the trade where I am. MB

-- malbenbu

----------------------------------------------------------------------- malbenbut's Profile:

this thread:

malbenbut

RS supply website/mail order against credit cards no probs and it's usually next day delivery. Returns are zero hassle too - they don't insist on checking returns back into stock before sending out the bit you really meant to order. Not sure, but I don't think they charge P&P on small orders either.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

ones have cut

I have a "Unified edition" - marked Copyright 55 - which includes SI metric from 6 to 39 mm OD

Bob

Reply to
BobKellock

Reassured by the financial logic behind a lot of the posts in the 'What do you make thread', I can say that I did not buy a new Zeuss to replace my 65 version but decided to make my own - £29.99 for a laminator, £30 for a binder, £5 for some nice blue covers and throw in the paper for free. That represents a saving of about -£60 over the cost of the Zeus - a bargain in model engineering terms!

The benefit is that the reference book only has stuff in it that I actually need, and I can add to it as and when I like. It also stands up to the engineering environment well (so far).

I still have the files if your interested. (all xls decimal equivalents, unc, unf, whit, ba, bsf, me, metric coarse and fine, standard drills, oxide colours, rotary head divisions, lathe cutting speeds, annealing, drilling speed, milling speeds, heat and temperature colours, morse taper shanks and sleeves, standard wire gauge, tempering chart)

Pat

Reply to
Patrick

Not the complete set of data in the Zeus book, but useful nevertheless. This PDF was created as handout for the members of my ME club.

lemel_man

"Patrick"

:-)

I started that one and am still mulling the results - but i didn't have any problem with the financial logic. I tend to justify my "shed stuff" in the same way that our soon to be PM has announced every spend in every budget he has done "I intend to invest in.....".

After all - I am an accountant.

My wife is more practical and tends to thing of it as a cheaper hobby than most.

ken

Reply to
Ken Wilson

My favourite for a quick reference in a very compact form is a 'Shetack' card. It only covers threads (BA, Imperial Unified & metric from 16BA to1") and SWG, but as a plastic disc 4" in diameter is very robust - I've had mine 30 years or so - I don't know if they're still available. Doesn't have feeds, fits and log tables etc so it depends on what you do most of the time I s'pose.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I have used 'Basic Workshop Tables' by W L Hodgkinson for donkey's years. Indeed, both my copies (shop & study) are falling apart. The layout and typography have actually been given some thought and the result is a far better legibility than the Zeus, IMHO. No idea if it is still available, however.

Reply to
Charles Lamont