Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Mill questions
9 am yesterday a big lorry delivered a large wooden box outside my front door - it wouldn't fit inside, so my plans to use a piano dolly to get it up the stairs were null and void. Instead, with the...
5
5

Calling Harrison/Colchester owners - Toolpost size
My recently acquired Harrison M300 came with a size S1 Dickson toolpost and a small number of holders. Before I rush off to find lots more holders, it seems from the specifications that the S2 size...
5
5

Small diameter turning tool question
Hi, Chronos have this neat looking tool for turning small diameters on their website at (or search for SDTT from ). I was thinking of making a cross between this and the GW Thomas retractable...
20
20

What do do with my motors
I have two 1/4 BHP induction motors, both run at 1425 RPM and have pulleys for V belts. Apart from making a grinding set-up, which I'm not interested in, I'm a bit lost on what I could use them for....
19
19

Glasses
Hi Andrew, I've not needed that combination but Glasses4eyes have made glasses for my wife that are outside the limits specified on the website for a modest surcharge. I have been unable to find the...
3
3

FA: Elliott 10M shaper
I've just put my Elliott 10-M shaper on feeBay: eBay Mobile

7/8" whitworth box spanner or ring spanner wanted
Anyone have one surplus or know of a cheap surplus outlet? Thanks Charles
11
11

Silver soldering stainless steel
Hi All I have a job to do in 25mm stailess tube to which I ave to attach end plates and a component about 4" down the inside from one end. My idea is to silver solder the bit in the middle and one cap...
8
8

Hardinge collet angles
Gentlemen I need to determine the collet angle on 5C and 3C collets. I have seen the 5C quoted as 20 degrees inclusive and also 20.0334 degrees. Which is correct? Also what is the angle for a 3C?...
6
6

Four old blow lamps for sale cheap
Clearing out my Dad's workshop and have four old blow lamps for sale - cheap - like £20 + postage (£10 for weight) or collection. I can email a picture on request thanks Lee
3
3

Manufacturing our own spectacles?
Manufacturing our own spectacles? The price of lenses seems to have sky-rocketed in recent years and it seems to me that we might be well-paced to manufacture our own spectacles after we are given a...
57
57

Aluminium turning troubles
Having some trouble with some 25mm aluminum bar ,it is throwing a burr in front of the tool at you machine down the length .I have varied the feed rate and also the speed which tops out at 750 on my...
1
1

1" whit ring spanner wanted
Does anyone have a 1" Whit ring spanner (1 1/8" BS) cluttering up their toolbox unused? I need to make up a crowfoot spanner, so only need the ring end. Combination spanner or socket could be used. 1...
3
3

Colour of a 9-inch South Bend lathe.
Hi Have been looking for a colour code for a lathe for quite some time now. The lathe is a South Bend 9" Model A. Like on this page at the 9" Model A "Precision" 1952 version. Only difference is that...
4
4

Auto-adjustable wrench?
Has anyone here any experience of these? looks like a neat idea, *if* it's strong enough. Tim