Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Parting with the rear tool post
I vaguely recall arguments that parting off from the rear tool post with the tool upside down is beneficial, but for the life of me I don't remember why. Naturally the swarf can escape the cut easier...
22
22

Is an "almost free" Harrison L5 Mk1 worth bothering with?
Thanks to everyone who helped steer me in the right direction for damp proofing my garage prior to converting it into a workshop. I'll be laying the concrete for an additional garden shed over the...
25
25

Loyal Cycle model Castings
Reading the stationary engine groups I noticed that one of these was being sold on EBay see No Ebay 320326127535 The castings for any of you guys is on sale at

Bob Minchin's Last Post
Hi Bob, Scientific Calculators will be on offer at Lidl's in my area. Cheep, cheep- and cheers Norman
1
1

Kick start lever
I have to make a new kick start lever for my bike. The lever will be basically a shaft with a 1/2" dia. 1" long parallel section to a shoulder then tapered from 3/4" down to 1/2" over an 8" length...
2
2

measuring a plane sole flatness?
I have a passing interest (some might say obsession :-) in making woodworking plane soles flat. (aside; they clearly need to be "fairly flat"; no-one is quite sure "how flat" they need to be; I take...
25
25

Sliding and surfacing
Have been reading manuals again,bit confused ...yet again.Which oine of the above two is facing ??? The best i can fathom is the surfacing is the same as facing ??am i on the money......thanks in...
4
4

A commercial plug
Hi Folks I know that I'm going to get shot down for this one but here goes, my nephew...or more accurately my wifes nephew has been beavering away building his web site at he is a distributor for...
8
8

Cutting thin-wall tubing?
Got to cut a lot (several hundred cuts, maybe more) of thin-walled stainless tubing, approx 6 mm dia by 0.25mm wall. Need fairly clean cuts, eg no deburring needed. Would like to do several cuts at...
2
2

Friction fit drive gear
Hoping the people in this news-group can help:- I have a pair of stepper motors with a gear wheel fitted to the drive shaft - the gear just seems to be push fitted on to the shaft (I cant see any...
3
3

At Aldi'S
Sack barrows for a tenner a throw at local Aldi's, yesterday. Two 10" pneumatic wheels on ball brgs. Couldn't make one for that! I've been monitoring them for a few weeks, plently of end of range...
5
5

Three phase creeps tantilisingly close !
Well, it looks as though I may actually get a three phase 160 amp service into my workshop sometime soonish. EDF agreed to cable an overhead suppply as a quid pro quo for access to their poles when...
16
16

Faulty Drill
Hi All Bought a brand new pillar drill (Clarke) recently but when I came to using it I noticed that the drill was running the 'wrong way', i.e., anti-clockwise instead of clockwise. Okay, it's under...
6
6

Scrap prices
John wrote in another thread.. My local scrappy is having a hard time, very little material is coming in. However that is good for me! The other day I came away with 6 feet of 60 x 25mm alu bar plus...
2
2

Lubrication of ball thrust race in lathe headstock
I've been restoring an old Lorch-Schmidt 4" plain lathe. Unlike my smaller Lorch Schmidt lathe which has a plain thrust bearing this is "modern" enough to have a ball thrust race. I've put a digital...
2
2