Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Chester Mill/Drill
Anybody got experience of these (Champion & Eagle)? ISTR reading that they were a good buy for the experienced engineer who could ensure that they were set up correctly?

OT:Vee belts
OT but where else I wonder!:- Does anyone know a good source of A section V belts for my latest project which was the resurrection of a 1985 WheelHorse garden tractor/mower. This uses 3 belts, one to...
6
6

Looking for long stroke pneumatic cylinder
Hi, I'm looking for a pnuematic cylinder with a bore of about 3" or bigger with a length of travel of at least 10" and preferably much more. It needs to be double acting - (ie a port at both ends)....

Harrison Paint and colour?
May be a silly question to some, but can anyone tell me the spec of the grey paint as used on the Harrison Milling machines and the type of paint it is, enamel etc. -- Cheers Adrian.

Lath or Lathe?
We've now had several postings, including one long thread, referring to "laths". While this may have been a typo, (and I suffer from dyslexia-of-the fingertips as successfully as anyone), may I point...
5
5

Rivet gun wanted
Not really *model* engineering, but someone here may know where there's something. I'm looking for a compressed air rivetting hammer, suitable for rivets up to 1/2" dia, or possibly 5/8". Any pointers...
6
6

Myford paint
Hi, I'm trying to repaint my ML7 with Myford grey enamel, but I just can't get a good smooth finish. I've tried various synthetic brushes, but I just keep getting air bubbles trapped. The bubbles...
1
1

Model Engineer mags
I have picked up about 70 magazines form 1955 through to 1957, and a couple from 1941. Anyone got any ideas what they are worth ? Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Engine pages for preservation info:
7
7

Graham Brothers treadle lathe
I have just come by a treadle lathe for free. Unfortunately the treadle and flywheel are both gone. I suspect it has been converted to electrical drive many years ago. A few details have caught my...

Ceramic Chip forge update
Some of you may recall the discussions regarding the output of Flamefast DS130 ceramic chip forges following the acquisition of one by Tim Leech. I reported that the output of mine was a bit wimpey,...

Change Wheels for precision lathes?
I've just been given a stack of 31 brass gear wheels, with every one from 120 teeth at about 3.5 cms to 150 teeth at about 4.5 cms diameter. They're approx 80 or 90 DP. Each has a line of 3 holes...
1
1

Lathe purchase
I have the oppotunity to buy a emco 10 lathe, my question is that, the lathe is a 2speed 3phase motor. Is it possible to convert this type of motor to run on single phase electrics? If so what would I...
2
2

Flame hardening of cast iron
I am just starting to make some 30degree squares. I will be making a set of four so that I can generate both the 90degree and the 30degree angles accurately. It would be nice to harden the cast iron...
2
2

IMLEC
For those who are into this sort of thing, the IMLEC results can be found on This site also has details of the biggest exhibition in the west. This is no church hall job. All the big traders will be...

Moving a Lath
Someone just offered to sell me a lath, and all I have to do is move it. Anoyone know of a removal company in Hertfordshire area that will move a lath? Thanks Stephen.
18
18