Planet Earth

We are looking to model up the planet earth as a Pro/E model with a sphere then the continent raised slightly. Has anyone done this before or know of any good online libraries, I've tried but can't find anything

Thanks in Advance

Alan

snipped-for-privacy@crombieanderson.com

Reply to
alan

I've been looking, too. Ever since I heard that NASA launched a radar mapping mission aboard Endeavor a few years ago. I figured JPL or someone would have earth models in IGES that I could download. Maybe it's available commercially, I don't know. There really should be something, don't you think!?!

Then the next thing is: how to project a map onto a sphere. Creating the sphere in Pro/e is no problem. Scaling is somewhat of a problem. But this is all relatively simple math. How about using the map curves as projected curves? (Is that what Mecator Projection means? What is the appropriate projection?) Anyway, some projection of a map, as projected curves, may produce what you need. Then it is relatively simple, with an outline, to create a protusion.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Hi Alan,

I would model the sphere first as a revolved Protrusion, and then apply a 'map' image as a texture. You should be able to find a JPEG image of a 'map' to use for this. You will most likely encounter some scaling issues with your 'map' texture image application, and it will require some tedium to work through those. To raise certain sphere surface areas, I would use Pro/E's 'Free Form' Surface functionality so that you can dynamically tweak the model within the boundaries/regions of your desire. Like within some continent, as an example. :-)

Good luck, and let us know how you ended up doing it. This should be an interesting task to say the least!

S.T.

Reply to
S.T.