Working directory for pdf

Hi,

A recent post on wd's prompts this.

Trying to print a pdf to the wd file/print/ms printer manager pick Adobe pdf save pdf file as

How do I get this to be the current wd? I mean without browsing for it.

The given button 'save object in active win to pdf' does not give the choice of sheet size.

Making a mapkey still stops at the wd stage showing the previous choice.

Any ideas?

Reply to
kenny

Adobe is a Windows program which stores its own information in the Registry. Where it last stored stuff for Pro/e is probably stored there as well. Don't think any change in Pro/e will affect Adobe. And I don't think that Windows is aware of Pro/e's currrent WD unless through some environment setting that getting passed. Nothing very obvious about the way it works with the OS.

I guess the point I was making was that you have to browse for it. Although, I'm sure there's a slicker way with Jlink. Since this interface is built on Java.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Are you dealing with WF2 or WF3? It makes a difference.

Reply to
peterbrown77

Wf3, but I see no obvious difference.

Reply to
kenny

Kenny,

In WF2, PDF creation could be handled through PTC-supplied print drivers (which appeared as Adobe PDF or Adobe Color PDF). Since it was treated as a Print function, not a File function, the PDFs could be handle as normal print files and the config.pro option plot_file_dir controlled where the PDF files were stored. Also, you could control sheet size and XY offsets. You could also do a File>Save As Copy to PDF in WF2, but with the same problems you are encountering.

In WF3, PTC removed their Adobe PDF and Adobe Color PDF print drivers and instead added more capability to the File>Save A Copy function, such as using fonts and making text searchable. As you have found though, you cannot control destination folders or sheet size. A mapkey would fix your destination problem, just by selecting the "Working Directory" icon (4th from the right) in the Save A Copy dialog box as part of the mapkey.

In Wildfire 3.0, there is no way to save a PDF file to a different sheet size, nor can you control XY offsets as you can with a plot.

I've opened several calls with PTC about this problem and they're working on a resolution for WF3 which will either be to restore the Adobe PDF drivers or add in the sheet size/scale/XY offset options to Save A Copy.

Until then your choices to resolve sheet size and XY offsets are:

1) Use Adobe Distiller or CutePDF printer drivers and handle it through the MS Print Manager (which stalls your mapkeys)

2) Use Ghostscript in combination with a small batch file that runs under the plot_command in the .pcf file to execute it, which makes it appear to the user to behave just like Wildfire 2. This is the solution I implemented and we've also found our PDFs are 25% of the size of the PDFs that PTC's driver was creating, and they print in

1/10th the time too.

Regards

kenny wrote:

Reply to