PaPeRo ???

Friendly Greetings From DownUnder :)

There is a cute robot out there on the loose , called PaPeRo, and loads of websites are addressing the little monster in all its details. (It's one of NEC's creations)

Alas, not a single one of them tells me where (if at all) it can be purchased and by how much it would deflate my wallet.

Can someone in the group enlighten a slightly frustrated grandfather besieged by a couple of determined grandkids already in assault mode for Xmas??

Have a nice day. Al snipped-for-privacy@austarnet.com.au

=================

Reply to
Al Terego

Whoooo, wait till the modders got a load of this one !!!!

Capabilities Former PaPeRo NEW PaPeRo 2005 CPU Celeron 500MHz Pentium-M 1.6GHz Memory 60 - 192MB 512MB HDD 6GB 40GB

Expansion Capabilities Former PaPeRo NEW PaPeRo 2005 PC Card Slots None 2 Slots External USB IF ports USB 1.1 ×1port USB 2.0 ×2ports External power generation None 5V / 12V

Its been out somewhere since 2001. I guess in Japan only.

donald

Reply to
Donald

I wouldn't get my hopes up. They're still undergoing fierce R&D. If they are available (and I'm pretty sure they're not), it's only in Japan on a limited trial basis. About three years ago I signed up on one of their mailing lists to be notified of any commercial offerings. To date, I've not received a single email.

In all fairness, it looks like they're tackling some major technical challenges like face, character, gesture, and voice recognition. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with if it's ever released.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Spencer

Thanks for your input gentlemen. That should settle the matter -- No PaPeRo for you kids.

Cheers :) Al snipped-for-privacy@austarnet.com.au

Reply to
Al Terego

I sent an email to them after reading your post, but, no reply. This is very uncharacteristic of the japs.

Reply to
two bob

Thank you, two bob -- Same for me. No reponse from the buggers.

Cheers Al

=====