PaPeRo ???

Friendly Greetings From DownUnder :)
There is a cute robot out there on the loose , called PaPeRo, and loads of websites are addressing the little monster in all its details. (It's one of
NEC's creations)
Alas, not a single one of them tells me where (if at all) it can be purchased and by how much it would deflate my wallet.
Can someone in the group enlighten a slightly frustrated grandfather besieged by a couple of determined grandkids already in assault mode for Xmas??
Have a nice day. Al snipped-for-privacy@austarnet.com.au
===============
Al Terego wrote:

Whoooo, wait till the modders got a load of this one !!!!
http://www.incx.nec.co.jp/robot/english/papero2005/index.html
Capabilities     Former PaPeRo     NEW PaPeRo 2005 CPU     Celeron 500MHz     Pentium-M 1.6GHz Memory     60 - 192MB     512MB HDD     6GB      40GB
Expansion Capabilities         Former PaPeRo     NEW PaPeRo 2005 PC Card Slots     None         2 Slots External USB IF ports     USB 1.1 1port     USB 2.0 2ports External power generation     None         5V / 12V
Its been out somewhere since 2001. I guess in Japan only.
donald
Al Terego wrote:

I wouldn't get my hopes up. They're still undergoing fierce R&D. If they are available (and I'm pretty sure they're not), it's only in Japan on a limited trial basis. About three years ago I signed up on one of their mailing lists to be notified of any commercial offerings. To date, I've not received a single email.
In all fairness, it looks like they're tackling some major technical challenges like face, character, gesture, and voice recognition. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with if it's ever released.
Chris
Thanks for your input gentlemen. That should settle the matter -- No PaPeRo for you kids.
Cheers :) Al snipped-for-privacy@austarnet.com.au
I sent an email to them after reading your post, but, no reply. This is very uncharacteristic of the japs.
Thank you, two bob -- Same for me. No reponse from the buggers.
Cheers Al
=== <you wrote> I sent an email to them after reading your post, but, no reply. This is very uncharacteristic of the japs.