Salvaging Components---Where Do YOU Get Them?

Maybe he was just an asshole.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

hussein_hg

I'm in Oklahoma City. Our "home" is a 3/4 mile trip to the largest surplus location. I think my wife failed to consider that when we bought this building. Respectfully, Ron Moore

haven't updated it in a while.

Reply to
Ron Moore

" Maybe he was just an asshole."

This is the most likely reason.

Many people, especially in positions of minor authority, are real works of art.

Just be thankful you could find another job....and other surplus.

TMT

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Talking about salvaged components...here's a special one....

TMT

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

There is usually one salvage company in any area that handles hospital salvage. A friend had that affiliation with most of the local ones. They would call and he would haul. Anything. He and his help removed X-ray machines to cabinets, beds and chairs. He would usually pay them a few bucks based on minimal salvage value minus labor. Contact one of your local hospitals and talk to the plant management or controller offices. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

The surplus stores which used to be around back in the 1960s and

1970s have all shut down.

I used to pick up lots of Army surplus when I worked nearby at Ft. Belvoir, but that surplus place has been shut down.

So -- most things now come from hamfests and swap meets.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

they shut down because the military sells their stuff through govliquidation.com. A real gold mine at times.

Ignoramus3954

Yes. And the fact that new stuff is getting more and more affordable makes it possible to stabilize a design or concept using standard off-the-shelf components without hocking grandma's house.

Just to prove a point. I'm in the process of developing an anti IED device. Years ago I would be spending a lot of time traveling the local aerospace salvage yards looking for this or that. Today I go first to McMaster for mechanical stuff, and then to Jameco for the electrical stuff and do it from the comfort of my home while unshaven and in skivvies. And the end cost is about the same once you figure three bucks a gallon gas and prohibitive parking fees in some places that should know better.

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 22:23:54 -0600, Hamad bin Turki Salami put finger to keyboard and composed:

It's ridiculous, even criminal, but that's economics. When something is written off, it must be scrapped in such a way that it cannot be reused. If the greenies weren't just a useless bunch of tree huggers, then maybe this could change.

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

On 28 Jul 2006 19:56:00 GMT, Allodoxaphobia put finger to keyboard and composed:

So they recycle grocery stores as well. ;-)

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

There are a lot of place in the DFW area. One of the more, ummm, notorious is Nortex.

The pictures don't do it justice. Spelunking rules apply. Bring a buddy and watch for cave-ins.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Osman

and those are dying too. A lot of people blame eBay, but there are other forces as well.

Reply to
Rich Osman

You are right on that....I used to go to hamfests all the time....now I hardly bother.

TMT

Rich Osman wrote:

:
Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

What hamfests are in your area?

Reply to
Andrew Schwartz

According to Andrew Schwartz :

Well next weekend (not this one) is one at Berryville VA. This is the one hamfest at which you can actually get a nice ham dinner. :-)

There is one in February which used to be in Vienna VA (my home town), but is now at a nearby community college. (This is sadly decreased in size, thanks to the loss of a regular location.)

There are several at Timonium MD (West side of the Baltimore Beltway.

Several at Howard County, MD

One at Manassas VA.

One in Frederick MD.

One at the Gaithersburg MD fairgrounds (back there after several years wandering from place to place, and it is now sadly shrunken compared to the prior years at Gaithersburg.

There may be others which I forget,

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

hospital

ones. They

Thanks !

Reply to
pogo

largest surplus

I just took a look at your website ... Man - what do you do ?!?!?

Reply to
pogo

Oatley, yeah. I snapped up that stereo microscope they had. It's cool, you can see the cells of plants through it, well I *think* they're cells.

____________________________________________________ "I like to be organised. A place for everything. And everything all over the place."

Reply to
Tim Polmear

We have a computer business, or it's had us, for over 20 years. That's what the office area is. My wife is a fiber artist as I'm sure you saw on the site. The machinery started as support for some gun stuff I do but kind of got a life of its own. And then, stuff just comes along, sometimes and I have difficulty saying no to a deal or free stuff with practical value. I've got to reevaluate that, at some point or get really busy on eBay. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore