[AN] EMRR introduces the Rocket Glossary

And BRAVO for the fast edit/fix.

-Fred "Continuous improvement" Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

violent

off,

create

just

Reply to
Fred Shecter

"shockwaveriderz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Think of it statistically. The potential impact area is, say, a circle

50 feet in diameter. A hea seen from above is, say 8" in diameter. So, the odd of you being hit in the head, assuming you're in the potential impact area, are about 1 in (600/8)^2, or about 5625 to 1.

So, don't launch more than 5600 Scouts, and you're more likely to not get hit in the head.

What is they say about liars and statistics?

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Feedback and control = good.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I have two personal experiences in the last year that give me enough reason. At a launch last year, an 18mm motor ejected, and hit the roof of the vehicle next to us. It left about a 3" diameter, 1/2" deep dent in the roof just above the windshield. At Naram 45, another 18mm motor ejected, and landed about 10 feet behind me, just a couple of inches off of another flyers foot who was waiting in line. The two distinct sounds of the motors landing were enough for me to know it would hurt like ****. David

Reply to
Dlogan

And however many times that has happened there has never been a claim as a result. Have you ever burned yourself on an igniter, or fallen from a tree recovering a rocket, or tripped on the ground on the way to recover or (gag) catch a rocket?

Shit happens.

But despite actual life presenting risks every day, the track record of rocketry is impeccable.

Perhaps that says something about rocketeer motivation and ethics as much as safety.

Rocketeers rock. Rocketry rocks.

Rocketry administration is currently the root of all evil. That can be changed with the strokeof thepenby honorablemen.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I while back, my son launched his properly constructed, but nonetheless unstable, Custom Rockets Galileo. It spiraled up to about 25 ft, tumpbled during the delay, and ejected its engine like a shotgun, which zinged horizontally about 5 ft over my head. Scared me pretty good.

I guess if it was properly designed and stable, it would have been high enough not to really matter (?). I corrected the design by adding little finlets to the ends of the dowels [which break off on each launch anyway, :^( ]

I prefer positively-retained-motor designs now.

Reply to
bit eimer

Durations events would be unfair. Motor checking at returns would be confusing. Mostly a Contest Pink book lawyer thing er do.

Reply to
AlMax714