[AN] EMRR introduces the Rocket Glossary

I doubt an RSO would allow the intentional ejection of an RMS casing no matter what size rocket.

Bob Kaplow

Yes. Revisionism. People making things up and then telling other people that the made up story is true. Even when we point out exactly why the made up story is clearly wrong.

Combo = Combination ("I'll have the two-taco and enchilada combo")

Cato = Catastrophe or Catastrophic failure

Rockets do not "take off".

BTW, Prang is not an acronym either. Most of the EMRR glossary entry for Prang is correct UNTIL we get to the end and we see another attempt at pulling a definition out of one's rectum. It is NOT the sound a wing makes.

-Fred Shecter

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

so what does a RCRG do?

Reply to
tater schuld

Goes up under rocket power, sometimes with an endburner so you can slightly steer it during boost, reach apogee, then glide down with pilot control similar to a sailplane. Goal is longest duration and no parts can deploy off. (RG)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

What does a Space Shuttle do?

It launches.

It even lifts-off.

It never "takes-off".

Reply to
Fred Shecter

My brother was konked in the head by an ejected C motor casing when he was 8. He had to have stitches. He never flew again after that episode unfortunately. Perceived, subjective and arbitrary my ass. Where do you pull this stuff from....nevermind.

Kevin Kuczek

Reply to
Kevin Kuczek

Horrible story and personal attack aside, ejected motors have been permitted ever since the release of the Estes Streak. Or sooner.

Get over it!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Thanks for that answer.

I've always been curious about this business of whether ejected motors should be allowed or not, mainly because of the following incident:

When I was 14 or so (around 1971), I entered the Estes design contest with a 3-stage rocket. The fins were on the ends of dowels attached to the main body tube and which extended down past the boosters. The booster stages were just BT-20 body tubes and were really no different than CHADs. Anyway, I got a rejection notice from Estes because the booster stages had no recovery system and were therefore a safety hazard. At the time I was just bummed out. It wasn't until a year or so ago that I was flipping through an old catalog, got reminded of how my Gyroc worked, and thought "those SOBs, they rejected my design for a feature they had been using for years". It still grates on me...

Reply to
bit eimer

Fixed. Thanks

Reply to
EMRR

Modified to take in much of your input. Thanks.

Reply to
EMRR

Congrats. Rocketreviews.org is among the first entities in HPR to install a feedback and control loop. It is some kind of amazing thing.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Nick Thank you for all of your hard work in bringing us EMRR, Virtual Rocket contests, Descon12, the rocket glossary and all of the other stuff you bring the rocket community. It must seem to be a thankless job at times.

Reply to
JIM

There have been several rmr posters stuck in a feedback loop for years now,...

Joel. phx ;)

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Key words "feedback AND control".

Few rmr posters have control :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I wish he had more commercial advertising opportunities that highlighted the product for actual sales. I would support that immediately.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I remember my first model rocket launch..it was an estes scout.... at apogee, the motor was supposed to kick back and then use tumble recovery to return...instead somehow the engine had been taped to the body tube( HEY ! I was 12 ok?) and it came in ballastic and the nose cone stuck into the ground a good 1".... I shudder to think what that would have done to somebodies head....

and at NARAm12 for my Design efficiency model I had the bright idea to do an all plastic model ( HEY! I was only 15 ok?) so I took a streak mylar tube and glued a cmr long plastic nose cone on it...the fins were also plastic.... well to make a long story short, it melted on the way up and on the way back down...and the melted mass as it cam back down was a flaming ball of molten plastic....imagine if that fell on your head.....

Now I could tell you the story about launching my X-ray at night( I won't) or the time I took the BP out of several model rocket engines and make some pipe bombs, or the time I mixed about 4 oz of BP estes propellant with another 4oz or so of homemade Bp.....and the resulting 5 ft tall blue white flame I had going in the backyard?....but we'll just leave that to history.....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

My 3rd Estes kit was a Scout, it came with the starter set. I don't think I ever had the motor actually stay in and tumble down. It always ejected and recovered like the Streak. My Sprite at least occasionally tumbled.

Bob Kaplow

Yep, I hope I didn't sound critical. I really appreciate the folks out there putting up the bandwidth to present important centralized information zones for our hobby. This is especially important now as we are about to advertise nationally and portray ourselves as thoughtful and science-motivated hobbiests. Thanks Nick/Essence!

Scott McCrate NAR 71680

Reply to
Scott McCrate

at take off,