Contest motor availabilty -- compared to 1987

tell your ISP

"potential crime" in

sells guns

Or the prohibition-era hotels and restaurants, which served glasses of iced ginger ale, seltzer water, etc. - with a footnote on the menu: "not intended for use with alcoholic beverages"... yeah right! :)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I wouldn't know... what quantity of motors are sold (per year, say) by way of ROL auctions? - and what percentage of them are neither hand delivered by the seller nor shipped with the "correct hazmat labeling"? I don't know if anyone actually keeps figures on these things, do you?

(My _guess_ is that a lot of folks may be just shipping model rocket engines to each other in ordinary parcels, probably not even aware that they're "Breaking The Law"... sort of like the water rocket folks who don't seem to have noticed that they are now covered by our NFPA codes!)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

ray: that "your" logic......I never said nor implied that the ROL website be shut down or any other website..All I said is the ROL engine auctions should be shutdown......thats it, nothing more.....

shockie B)

_possibility_

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

well David, lets first try and change the Laws before we openly advocate breaking them shall we? and you don't get to pick and choose what laws you want to adhere to and those that you don't.... the fact that in your mind a model rocket or hpr motor has a low hazard level, still does not make it right to ship without proper authorization... Don't you get that? Even if YOU and everybody, and I all agree that the legal requirements are onerous in nature, does not give one the right to willfully violate those laws....... Imagaine what kind of country this would be if we could all pick and choose what laws to obey or not to obey..... shockie B)

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

If you pay any attention to the ROL auctions you will see that a very large percentage of the rocket motors that are being sold are HPR motors.......

shockie B)

occurrence.

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

One whose government "derives its just power from the consent of the governed" like ours was originally supposed to, perhaps?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Never... has an ROL auction been involved in a single shipment (one big box) of rocket motors.

Come to think of it, did Jerry stuff all those motors in one big jumbo box?

Reply to
default

Same thing, essentially. You want to shut down an auction simply because someone _might_ do something illegal _after_ the auction.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Uh, we already HAVE "that kind of country". People do pick and choose which laws they will obey -- that's why we have police and courts. ;)

Reply to
RayDunakin

More like "will necessarily".

If you consider it illegal, at all, that is.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jerry replied:

No, that's an assumption. You are assuming that everyone who sells motors on ROL ships them illegally. It's possible that they could deliver the motors personally, or have the buyer pick it up. It's even possible that a seller might be a vendor who has the capacity to ship legally. The quoted shipping price on the auction is no indicator either, since the seller may be absorbing some of the shipping cost to increase sales.

Reply to
RayDunakin

No I am assuming the "modal" seller ships, not that each and every seller ships.

It is possible that some tested APCP formulas are exempt from explosive regulations and rockets are model aircraf tparts.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jerry wrote:

The point is, motor auctions should not be prohibited based on a mere assumption.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Bingo!

Ray just described exatly my last experience with ROL motor auctions. Bill Maness was selling(giving)away his stock of 24mm F motors a few years ago. Full on legal shipment all the way. Any one else make out like bandit on the his auctions?

But I gotta admit, considering the auctions I've seen since then, it makes me wonder how some of these sellers are going to transport these motors to the buyer. How far would you drive for a J100 or even a K250?

Ted '3 more F32's for the ViperIII' Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

I'm curious as to what ebay's excuse is to not allow rocket motors? Do they also bock starter sets that include motors. Can ebay stores sell those starter kits? Do the also ban other hazmat items like paint, model airplane fuel, contact cement, etc. etc.?

Bob Kaplow

I wonder if there is an "official" standard.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reply to
RayDunakin