Discovery Channel Flyrockets AD

If anyone running OSX has tried this I'd love to hear from you.....I have a feeling this will go proprietary without a toggle to turn it off and I'm gonna have more conflicts than it's worth with QT. After my last experience with a DivX decoder I'll definitely wait for a review. If someone's had a decent experience I'd be glad to hear about it. :-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

It took me a while to find the app to convert it...

FlyRockets.mov in apple QT format is now posted to abmr

-Scott

Scott Sager

Thanks. I will look for a web link there.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

No successful web link found and my ISP does not carry abmr of course.

Oh, well.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

why not just post the damned thing in a normal avi or mpg format.

Grrr I hate it when their are a million formats of the same file type.

Grrrr :-)

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

or screw avi and mov (BOTH tend to be proprietary) and do it mpg. then ANYONE can read and view it.

without having to download anything

Grrr :-) just venting.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

There's a neat Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, Be OS, etc., viewer that supports the VidX codec available at:

It's a stand-alone viewer, completely independent of QuickTime.

Glad to have hot and cold running engineers available, James

_____________________________

James Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

Reply to
James Duffy

jerry: once it is uploaded to abmr, I will download all the pieces and combine and ecode it as 1 big file....if you contact me offline, provide me a ftp site and a password and I will upload it to your server for you.... or I'll post the entire file to the YAhoo ABMR if it will take it shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Jerry Irvine

JI: I have it (approx 3.6mb) and tried to upload it to Yahoo ABMR but there isn't enough free space at ABMR for it to take it....so email me and I'l ftp it to you.. shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Jerry Irvine

..........and you're saying it works well? Can it be turned on and off?

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Um, you bought a commertial for an incomplete website. I hope its online and complete by then. How much traffic can you server handle?

Reply to
Dana Miller

I expect the following problems (which can be worked toward being corrected)

  1. Site ISP unable to handle peak sudden traffic Solution: Mirror sites (I have offered) Timing: immediate due to propogation times on DNS servers
  2. Site not ready for prime time (likely) Solution: Upload best available version and content TODAY for people to test, give correction feedback (install a feedback feature), and then do DAILY UPDATES. [THAT WAS THE CRITICALINFLECTION POINT] Given all the effort to this moment are focused on
    on 11-7 or whatever and that is less than a week away, the site DESERVES daily attention till then. Timing: Immediate since this is now the central aspect of the entire deal.

Just PRACTICAL Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I suspect that a 30 sec ad on DISC (which will actually air differently across time zones) won't generate the same sort of crushing traffic as

30 sec on the superbowl. Properly configured web servers can handle what would seem to be a crushing amount of traffic with relativly modest machines. If the site is mostly static, and NOT hosted on Windows/IIS it has a prayer of surviving. I've been involved in three rollouts while under a marketing campaign gun. You need the basic site "live" at least on a test domain t owork out the kinks. They may be doing this but since the "live" site has a busted navigation system, things don't look promissing.
Reply to
Dana Miller

Yes, let's put on the record what it is running and what "tools" are being used.

That is indeed what they are doing. I have faith in that part.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine