Home of Known Rocket Builder Blows up: Anybody we know?

Seems he may have been a PGI member though.

Pax

Reply to
Paxton

Eyewitnwess descriptions of the incident sound more like one of those Chinese or Mexican fireworks factory explosions than anything that might be expected from the accidental ignition of even a large batch of APCP.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Does EX = APCP?

Reply to
Greg Cisko

Since EX is Tripoli "member" specific, I suggest

for details.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

In TRA, yes, it does. And since EX is a TRA only term for something that already had a name...

Bob Kaplow

Actually my understanding (as an outsider) is that TRA-EX includes: N2O-plastic hybrids N2O-HTPB hybrids APCP ANCP Sorbitol

If I am incomplete or excessive, please correct me.

The styles of motors that are NOT currently allowed (special/arbitrary exceptions not withstanding) include: LOX/HTPB hybrids KPCP BP Tribrids Liquids Steam Sodium Chlorate

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That plus other stuff.

This was a Pypo guy that used rockets to get his shells or whatever >Does EX = APCP?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Hmm...

From the TRA Research Safety Code: (It looks like anything liquid is out, except NOX in a hybrid, but there isn't any stipulation regarding the oxidizer type of a composite solid propellant...)

-------------------------------------------------------- Chapter 5 Exclusions

5.1 General. Only composite propellant rocket motors and hybrid rocket motors as defined in this code are permitted at Tripoli Research Launches. 5.2.1 Black powder-based motors shall not be included as composites, regardless of binder and/or formulation modifications. 5.3.1 With the exception of nitrous hybrid rocket motors, liquid rocket motors are prohibited at Tripoli Research Launches. 5.4.1 The following propellants shall also be excluded from Tripoli Research launches: double- and triple-based propellants, and micro-grain propellants, including zinc/sulfur propellants.

Note that this was from the "April 01, 2001" edition: the one where they took out the following text from the previous version (saying something about "closing loopholes") and added insanely detailed stipulations about "group projects":

-------------------------------------------------------- Motors which have been manufactured by a commercial motor manufacturer which are not in the process of being certified and are not intended to be available to Tripoli members commercially, shall be deemed "experimental" and may be flown or fired only at Tripoli Research (experimental) launches.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Not necessarily, though that is one of the most common propellents used in EX and amateur rocketry. However, the issue I see is, "Does EX/AR = house-leveling explosions?" You seem to be intent on making such a link. Why is that?

Reply to
RayDunakin

More to the point, APCP wouldn't do that... even if you piled up 200 pounds of "M" motor grains in the middle of your living room and ignited it, you'd sure do a quick and thorough job of setting fire to the place but I doubt it would knock the walls down and blow the roof off like that.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

it was AR......when you sit at home and roll your own its AR unless you are a tripoli member then its AR/EX... shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

unless of course you took that 200lbs of M motors apcp and ground it down into small particles and then put it within confined spaces likes pipes...

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Since he was a hobbiest involved with Pyrotechnics and he used his home-made rockets to launch his pyrotechnic devices into the air to make pretty designs, were his rockets "Hobby Rockets"???

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Take my word for it. Dividing rubbery propellant is a royal pain in the ass.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Literally? Yep.

As the term is commonly used? Definitely not. Terms of art are imprecise but are what they currently mean AS USED.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Right, but that's amateur explosives, not amateur rocketry...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

But then you're no longer doing EX/AR. You'd be making bombs, not rockets. Trying to link bomb making with rockets is like linking arson with driving a car simply because both actitivies involve gasoline.

Reply to
RayDunakin

That's why they've started using the term "Hobby Bombing".

Reply to
Fred Shecter

No, they were hobby pyrotechnics.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Some people start feeling invincible when they narrowly avert death a couple of times. Some people are too stupid to even get that feeling. :/

Reply to
Tim