Is the model rocketry hobby dying?

Like them or not, NASA is not only the us space agency but also a source of scale model material (that is, they build the full size ones). I think offering honarary membership to the agency head - however often that head rolls - would be a good political move.
I think we should also make the head of the BATFE an honorary member :-)
Glen

I'd thought about this too.

Boy, that would be great, when he had to explain why he was a member of an organization that was suing his agency.
We need to ensure that actions by our government uphold the principles of a democratic society, accountable government and international law, and that all decisions are taken in a manner consistent with the Constitution.
Glen Overby wrote:

Yes, His tireless research efforts into the flammability of rental vans is renoun.

You know who are lifetime members?
Folks like Bruce Kelly!!!!!
R O F L !!!!!
!!!!!
!!!!!

Correct.
Correct.
I actually give the man more credit than that. He has returned Estes "more" to a hobbiest philosophy. Seriously.

And he SOLD it for a reason. I regret selling USR, but as much as I wish my original vision was realized, they are selling kits anyway.

That was true for about 5 years.
Over.

Punishable offence.

TRA the list is LONG.
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

To whom did you sell it? Did they buy a brand name, or a company?
" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote:

"A company of less than two employees"
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm sure all He/She/They got was a load of hot air.
Tell Us jerry, over the years how many times have you sold us rockets?

Yes.
snip
Rocketry could be doing better but it is far from dead and in some cases it's better than ever before. All I can give you is what I see but from where I stand, despite all of the rough spots and the negative things the hobby has endured the last 4 years, I believe rocketry in general is in good shape. I would also have to say it depends on where you live.
Locally, 10 years ago, we had 5-6 stores supplying rocketry items. 5 years ago we had 10-11. Today in the metro area we have 18+ stores selling rockets & supplies, from Wal-Mart to mom & pop stores. Some have many kits and a good inventory of supplies, others just have the essentials.
The state clubs have grown in number, as well as membership and are growing every month, both NAR & TRA. There are many, many, more people that fly who are not part of any club AND there are groups of people that have formed model / HPR clubs, that are NOT affiliated with ANY organization. They are independent but most use the same codes as NAR / TRA.
My youngest daughter 19, has been flying since she was 4, works full time at Wal Mart and is one of 42 cashiers. She works peak hours and has been watching her sales of kits and supplies for me. She tells me she makes sales of engines or rockets EVERY day, mostly to kids under 18 or younger (with a parent) and like I said, she is only 1 of 42. I don't know how much this one store sells but her sales applied as an average, indicate rocketry is doing pretty well, it's just 1 of many in the area.
Depending on who you talk to, there are clubs all over the country doing well, others are squeaking by. It seems that those actively trying to grow, are doing so. Those just waiting on it to happen, are at best, static. There are plenty of things to draw kids away from the hobby but from what I've seen, there's plenty of time and desire to be involved in the hobby, where there is an opportunity (a field) or the knowledge that it exists.
About 75% of the membership of my local club (37 members) is a member of NAR or TRA. NAR 665 / TRA 81 has been in existence for only 15 months. If you want to see how to grow a Section, go to the club website and spend sometime to see what the club offers members and all the things that have been done to make the public aware 665 / 81 is here. We are growing in both model and HPR rockets. The club will have it's first EX launch in July.
We have a great website, corporate sponsors, media coverage, some members have rocketry websites, most of our members pitch in to make the club visible, profitable and fun. Egos are kept in check and we're working with the other Sections in our area for the good of all of the clubs and the hobby. These are a few of the things the club is doing. Our club is fortunate in that we have a very diverse group of builders and flyers, most with decades of experience.
Much like success in real estate is said to be location, location, location, growing a club is attitude, attitude, attitude. Attitudes will make or break a club, an organization, or a hobby.
Coincidentally, I'll be posting a new Fire & Smoke tomorrow night, touching on some of these topics.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
Hello Randy,
Well I hope that this indicates an OVERALL up swing in the interestes of young folk to engage in the hobby of model rocketry. I will look around myself over the next couple of weeks and see what I find. I do know that Michaelson's in my area carry a small selection of Estes rockets on a constant basis.
I know of three hobby shops spread over a 20 mi linear distance, one carries NO rocket items, the other has only MODERN parts that collect dust , and the other has North Coast kits priced at like $125 and up ... and a few of the normal Estes stuff. I think the largest carrier of rocketry items would be my local Wallmart. They have a shelf full of 'Launchables' and starter sets ... and yes rocket motors behind glass.
Perhaps it will be Wallmart who will usher in the resurgence of model rocketry across America? Call them Rocket-Mart ... maybe NAR should try to forge relationships with retailers who carry rocket supplies? Maybe a NAR group or 2 or 50 should have demo launches right there at the Wallmarts and Wallmart could have a huge display/sale during the day? Insurance and liability wouldd have to be figured out, but if Wallmart is willing to sell the motors, they shouldn't be too fearful of flying them out of a roped off area of the parking lot.
One more thing, I wonder if the now dead heir of Wallmart had anything to do with Wallmart carrying model rockets. He and his father were both pilots ... maybe as father and son, they enjoyed a few hours out in the field flying rockets?
Well back to lurking for a few weeks, months ... heck I have posted more in the last 5 hours than I have the entire year ... I just don't want to get back into the crap that is group is now famous for ...
Good luck model rocketry
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

consciousness. I'm sure they can "sense" your daughters's interest in model rocketry, and for synchronicity sake, they channel their purchases through her
snip
Just as a follow up to the Wal Mart discussion in this thread, my daughter called me from work this afternoon to say the store had a huge display right in the front door, with the Estes Snap Shot, & Max Trak for $24.95 and tons of engines at $4.97. The display had about 50 of each rocket and about 100 of the 3 engine blister packs.
I don't know if it's just her store or if they're doing it everywhere. She is very vocal about rocketry to anyone that will listen, especially the older people in the store. Her manager adores her and she may have set up the display because of my daughter. She couldn't ask her, because she had already gone home for the day.
Either way, it looks like Wal Mart is promoting Estes products. In her store, you have to walk around the display to get in. Might be interesting to see if there are similar displays in other Wal Marts around the country.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

Estes pays CASH rent for that placement.
(Snip)
you have to walk around the display to get in. Might be interesting

Nice but I think it is a local phenomena. My Wal-mart has old engine packs that have wadding with them. Not a good choice and just a few models.
Kurt Savegnago
Not just a local phenom. It is probably store-by-store. There's a Super WalMart around here that has three such displays. A regular WalMart has two. A third store does not have the display, nor do they have much on the order of rockets.
Roy nar12605

two.
order
That makes a lot of sense Roy. She works in a Super Wal-Mart. I have some errands to run today and I will try to visit a couple of the other stores in the area and see what they're doing. Still, I think it's a good move because it puts rockets and the hobby, in the main stream, in a store that attracts more customers locally and nation wide than any other venue.
The hobby needs to be seen as mainstream as X-Box. The visibility can't hurt.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

I strongly agree.
Now if only we could close the deal to "upgrade" those clearly "instant gratification buyers", we would rock!
Alas we are too busy infighting and over-regulating ourselves for THAT to ever happen.
Jerry

Well, in a small way they may have accidentally done. The 2 rockets they have out one takes photos and the other measures altitude. That might make an impression on the X-Boxers and kids seeking more than just a whoosh pop!

The one thing every rocketeer should be doing right now, no matter the affiliation or independence there of, is pulling together as a unified group. One body, one voice. Refuse to give up, refuse to give in.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Yeah, and Jerry's too busy hiding from creditors, dodging the authorities, playing shell games with his bogus companies, getting felony convictions, racking up big DOT fines, making excuses about why he can't get his motors certified, and blaming everyone else in rocketry for the problems he brings on himself.
Oh, and making idiotic posts about some alleged "holy grail" that he refuses to explain.