Is the model rocketry hobby dying?

rocket_wannabe wrote:

First, model rocketry is a VERY expensive hobby when compaired to other hobbies. I no longer fly solids due to the costs of motors. Hybrids are the way to go if you want to save money in the medium-high powered arena. Most rocketry manufactures, if they are honest with you, will admit that most of their income is from the sales of model rocket motors. Vern Estes made his millions not with "Astron this" and "Damon that" but with Mable I and Mable II ... his motor making machines. It cost him pennies on the dollar to produce motors, and then he could turn around and sell them for 50 - 100 times their manufacting costs. This was the economic secret to his success as well as others. Why do you think early on, he GAVE AWAY kits ... it was so the consumer would build the kit, then BUY motors for it! The motors is where the money was being made ... just like soft drinks at a movie theatre or resturant ... it costs them 5 cents for a 12 oz drink, then they charge you $1.00+ for it; same with model rocket motors.
As for classes, I remember as a child, I was enrolled in the model rocket program at the Museum of Science of Industry in Los Angeles CA. They had a very good rocket program there in the late 60s ... its no more.

Well ground I don't believe. I love R/C Planes, but if I am at the computer doing some programming, or tunned into the History Channel, I really don't want my privacy intruded upon by the DRONING of gas R/C/ outside my window. Electrics are quiet and never get a second glance where I fly locally.

Rocketry is dying really due to its participants. The hobby has been serverly mismanaged by NAR, TRA, and vendors like ... well you know who, for decades. Rocketry was "in" 30 - 40 years ago because of the space race, and because of the networking that was done between government, military, and scientist across the country. Remember, that Wener von Braun was a NAR member, and so was Willey Ley and a host of other big names. These people had the influence to make model rocketry an intergral part of education for millions of young people. Yes, NAR #2 G. Harry Stine was in the mix as well :) Well that isn't the case today now is it? Lets look how things have changed:
1)NAR/TRA are suing the government instead of working with and within it.
2)Most of the leadership of NAR/TRA is ran by people who are more interested in their personal financial gain with model rocketry, than young people learnng from it.
3)Most of the people running NAR/TRA and other MR orginizations are not people in high positions of power or influence ... except in their "inner circles"
4)Some rocket manufactures are ingaged in felonious activities that are giving model rocketry a "black eye"
5)Public interest in rocketry of anytype has waned ... face it we put a man on the moon ... 'shows over folks ... move along, nothing to see here, move along'.
6)Costs of rocketry, insurance, liabilities is a major drain on money resorces.
7)MR leadership 'political in fighting' wastes time, resources, and people ...
You see there a host of reasons why the hobby is not what it once was in 1966 ...
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

Hey! I wonder if we sat in the same class together there! <G>
David Erbas-White
David Erbas-White wrote:

As an additional note, for those who weren't there, the launch site was the LA Coliseum -- thinking back, that's pretty cool!
David Erbas-White

Mike Smalley (RIP) and I did the MSI classes for about 5 years.
Jerry

Hardly. Kids can get started for a $30 starter set from Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

These folks were members because Harry had the wisdom to make them honorary members. perhaps today we should be making Homer Hickam, Bert Rutan, etc. honorary members.

Tried to work with them.No choice left but to sue.

Name me one NAR leader over the past decade who had a financial interest in the hobby.
We have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve. -- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, WWII.
Bob Kaplow wrote:

They all do. They're interested in how much they're spending on their rocketry activities... <G>
David Erbas-White
Bob Kaplow wrote:

*******************************
*******************************
Bob you actually said something that took me off of "lurker status" and is actually a FANTASTIC idea. I don't know if you were serious or wanted sarcasm, but that is EXACTLY the type of PR that SHOULD be done. You should send that off you your NAR leadership friends for execution on that IDEA, and I don't mind you getting the credit for it!
Oh, Werner and Willey did attend laucnhes and science fairs. They participated and invested their time, money, and energy. So it wasn't just a piece of paper handed to them by Harry ... they ACTUALLY got involved :)
Just think if Burt or Homer (no not Simpson) were to attend a few launches and the publicity created ... just "thinking and paying forward" ...

Well I am sure Irvine will give you all the court docs you need, or at least tell you about them, but NAR really has dropped the ball in MANY ways over the years. And this current fiasco where they are suing the Fed is only making enemies and not friends in the District of Criminals, Washington D.C.
Werner and Ley, and others, saw the potential of model rocketry as a way to raise a generation of scientist, and researchers. Today its made in China, and the "bottom line", that motivate rocketry. Trust me, if Tunick could make more money selling Dog crap in 5lb sacks, than rockets, Estes/Centuri would be the leaders in Dog Crap Technologies! Vern has told me that he regrets what happened to his vision of model rocketry ... well thank God there is High-Power because without it, model rocketry would be in very very bad shape!
Now back to Lurking ... and I really mean that is a very good idea to get the big names involved ... you really do have a brain Bob ... despite what they say on the high-power groups :)

I don't disagree that we are making enemies to a degree but you have not experienced, first hand, the complete intransigence of our 'friends' at the BATFE. These guys simply do not negotiate. Period. We tried it for years before resorting to the courts.
Mark Johnson NAR Trustee, Retired

This should be in the FAQ.
Hey NAR, you should have simply "lived the lifestyle instead".
Too late?
Jerry Irvine wrote:

You did, and look what it got you -- a felony conviction.

Assumes facts not in evidence, and false.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Prove it. We already know about your felony conviction for possession of a "destructive device". You've refused to say what that device is, but you did say I was guilty of the same crime because I still have one of your motors.
You've also said that it's "impossible" to tell if a motor is legal or "no longer made but still legal". That sure doesn't sound like "living the lifestyle" is risk-free.
-

Harry had a LOT of connections. How we could use many of them today.

Homer has been to launches, both NAR and TRA. This was the first year commitments kept him away from the TARC finals. And he's occasionally posted to rmr. And if you need the "not Simpson" to know who we're talking about, you're reading the WRONG newsgroup!
But you're right. It's time that the NAR resumed handing out honorary memberships to notable people. The publicity would certainly help our cause. I'll add this to my list of things to bring up this summer at the NAR annual meeting.
So, let me throw this open and ask "Who else should be given honorary members?"
People who exercise their embryonic freedom day after day, little by little, expand that freedom. People who do not will find that it withers until they are literally "being lived." They are acting out scripts written by parents, associates, and society. --Stephen R. Covey
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Any Mercury-Gemini-Apollo astronauts Any Mercury-Gemini-Apollo controllers Guenther Wendt Bill Dana Current JPL unmanned mission project engineers (i.e., Mars Rover, Deep Impact, etc.) Sally Ride
and last, but definitely not least
TOM HANKS
(honorable mention to any actor who appeared in "From the Earth to the Moon")
David Erbas-White
P.S. John Travolta is a very high-profile pro-space guy, too.

Why weren't they "transferred"?

Bob Kaplow wrote:

Elsie Hickam, who so loved her Rocket Boys she let them destroy most of her cooking pots, pulverize her bathroom scale, and blow up her basement (twice) without resorting to either physical retaliation or reform school.
H3
It is better to confess ignorance than provide it.
: )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

And who has recently been a big supporter of Team America...

ROTFLMAO!
We need to ensure that actions by our government uphold the principles of a democratic society, accountable government and international law, and that all decisions are taken in a manner consistent with the Constitution.
Homer Hickam wrote:

I'll second that...
Mario