JC, TRA and the future of rocketry

I believe CTI has CAR do their certifications. While the TRA/TMT webpage does show some TRA certs, CAR shows their own certs on almost every motor. TRA honors CAR certs by reciprocal agreement

in addition, CTI paid some hefty sum to have testing that supported a lower explosives classification for transport purposes (isn't that right, Jerry? I remember Anthony talking about this).

- iz

Bob Kaplow wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

why would you look to hold a club responsible, rather than its insurer, Bob? Or am I missing something here?

- iz

Bob Kaplow wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

I guess it depends on just what waiver terms you negotiated with your local FAA field office - AIUI, some waivers are simply for "unmanned rockets" (of a certain size and quantity, at a certain time). (This would include waivers for "amateur" launches, for example.)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Best thing TRA could have done for AT after the fire woulda been to let Jerry's motors back in, to "keep it warm" for AT. Less of us woulda drifted off to racing cars or RC airplanes or whatever... there would have been more of a market for AT to come back to.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I think TMT tested the first series (the "original recipe" types). Sue M. posted about them here.

Yep, they're a "solid" class 1.4C item (by actual test).

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

All correct.

The backstory why CTI didn't just keep using TRA is interesting and extremely phunnie, but as a non-CTI guy I best let them speak for themselves, or more likely not at all!

BTW 1.4C 54mm K's and L's is exceptional on a UN basis.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

If the insurance was insufficient or lapsed, either one as a result of an act or omission by the club.

This of course assumes the club has any assets to collect.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Every aspect of that deal broke the Jerry Irvine rules.

I congratulated Anthony and his employee and I had numerous drinks to celebrate.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Apparently you don't think so. So, when will you be publicly publishing your policy?

Or do you just want to admit your hypocracy now and be done with it?

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Dave W. wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin

I find it amusing I am important enough to risk numerous causes of action and a multi-million dollar lawsuit over.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

And I would have invited that. I do this for fun. The "enthusiast" market is miniscule. The main markets are elsewhere, some of which rely on the certs even though the motors do not show up at club launches anyway.

When they decertified USR it was barely noticed at TRA launches but at non-TRA launches the damages were emmense.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Point!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

FAA regulations do not mention those things thank god. If your waivers do it is a result of how you or people before you applied for waivers.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Outside of the issue of whether or not they told the insurance company they were doing EX, I don't see that there is any "increased risk" involved.

Reply to
RayDunakin

The real issue is the certified motor debacle. IF that voids insurance, then MOST TRA members have been unknowingly flying without PRIMARY insurance they thought they had MOST of the time for MOST of the past time insurance allegedly existed for consumers.

Not only is that a laibility risk, it is a HUGE waste of premium dollars and several levels of breach of fiduciary duty.

Just Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The "need to know list" is about 100000% longer than TRA's.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yeah really. If you're going to spend money on insurance, at least buy some that covers what you're actually doing, not some idealized version of it...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Being a TRA member is not a free pass. In any case, if JC was told by the Prefect that the launch was insured, that should of been the end of it; but no, that did not fit JC's plan. He was bound a determined, if he was not going to play in the sand box, he would be sure and piss in it, so no one else could either.

All are welcome, even Jerry(:-)... Several folks come to our launches form you neck of the woods/concrete jungle.

Neither will I unless, someone slips up and starts the discussion

Fred

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

The indemnify and hold harmless waver was included on the advise of legal council...We also wanted our land owner/s to be held harmless for any of our club activities, to the greatest extent possible. When we decided to go the independent club rout, we did not take the legal issues lightly. We consulted with and continue to use the advise of a corporate attorney. We also have insured the local emergency and public safety folks know who we are, what we do, and when we have launches. On the East coast, you cross the t's and dot the i's, especially when your launch activities are less than an hour from DC and all the BS that comes with that issue. Even with all the BS, we still have a standing waver, at most launches, of 14,000' and call ins that are sometimes greater, on a case by case basis.

Fred

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace