More new stuff from Estes

What Exit?
-Shread Vector NRA #1 Paramount Leader

On 10 Jun 2005 12:27:47 -0700, "shreadvector"

Knowing that would make it to easy. Here's a clue - it's a number less than 20.

You did good if you got a second flight out of them. One was unstable. One melted from the ejection. Another busted the shock cord. And if you tried to use the plastic launch rail that came with one, it only got worse.
    Voting for "the lesser of two evils" is still voting for evil.

Is that "consumer interaction" Estes RTF style?
On 5 Jun 2005 08:11:19 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Thanks guys. I picked up several of those thinking they might make good first rockets for the kids (still a bit young). I had not even opened or inspected any of them yet. I guess I will not be teaching the kids those lessons, at least not to start.
Alan

The Estes Y-Wing was another classic example of plastic doom. A heavy chunk of molded styrene, its two parts held together with a piece of sewing elastic which probably wouldn't survive one trip through the laundry, let alone a hot ejection charge.
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Their "regular" X-Wing was not much better. And if it survived a launch, *without* breaking 6 or more pieces...you were lucky.
Now, the Centuri Rocket Times "design contest" X-Wing, actually flew pretty well. It was the first rocket I ever flew. Being a hardcore model-builder, with an interest in Sci-Fi...this modest little newspaper model is what brought me into this hobby. I got about 15 good flights from it.

--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317 - Slackware 10.1 (2.6.10)

True, but the other Ready2Fail plastic rockets didn't have a big metal spike on the front of the ejectable pod. We had one of those punch right through someones sun shade.
You [should] not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harm it would cause if improperly administered -- Lyndon Johnson, former President of the U.S.
Really, one does have to wonder if there were any rocket folks at Estes when that stuff was planned. That X-Wing fighter was really damn dangerous. Not just unstable but that metal spike was an accident waiting to happen..sort of a pyrotechnic lawn dart. Who was in charge in those days; does any body know? Was that Barry what's his face? It would seem that wiser heads are now calling the shots or the dumbasses finally got on board the learning curve and got religion. Either way, I sure hope we never see the likes of that junk again.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

when
I've wondered that about several of their kits over the years. Ever see R2D2 fly? YIKES!
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Perhaps we can blame Estes for putting the "Artoo can FLY!!" idea into George Lucas's head (re: Attack Of The Clones).
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317 - Slackware 10.1 (2.6.10)

Ooh, I have one of those too... :-)
Eldred

This one.

All the real rocket people are long gone. Perhaps Mike could fill us in on who left when.

Barry Tunick has been in charge since the early 90s, and now owns the whole thing.
We need to ensure that actions by our government uphold the principles of a democratic society, accountable government and international law, and that all decisions are taken in a manner consistent with the Constitution.

Given that Estes has become MORE "hobby" freindly and more customer driven, it seems he might be a good thing, albiet not so good as Vern was.
Jerry
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Well, I wouldn't give up hope -- some of those who are there now may be (or becoming) 'rocket people' -- I have to be thankful for some of the offerings over the past year. Heck, even the Outlander is useful for making Mars Lander-ish stuff, and the fact that they did the X-prize rockets, and are re-releasing things such as the Orbital Transport, ScissorWing Transport, and Saturn 1B bode quite well.
And bear in mind that SOMEONE has to come in to make up for all of us old fogies -- and they might even (God forbid) have some good ideas, too!
David Erbas-White

I have heard relatively sophisticated people get excited about the Estes SS1.
I suggest they make a big one. Perhaps one that ONLY flies on 3 cluster 24mm (BT-70) and coincidentally fits 54mm and 38mm :)
Just Jerry
Estes rocks!
uh, Jerry, don't look now, but they've had a 4"diameter SS1 announced for a few months now. Should be out in the next couple of months. One E9 power. (or E15 or E30 or 24mm F....) Should be able to cobble up a version for 38mm, though probably the only things that could be used from the kit are the nose and tail cones.
https://www.estesrockets.com/SpaceShipOne_E_Engin1260.html

Cool.

It would probably only need about 4 pounds of clay in the nose. ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /