MR/LMR Launch Cancelled by FAA

This should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It wasn't the Airport Manager that denied my notification: it was the Airport ATC ... shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Nowhere in the extensive FAR you quoted does it say that ... can deny your notification.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reply to
Phil Stein

No shit Sherlock.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

jerry, STOP LYING!

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

this denies it by default:

Sec. 101.23 Operating limitations.

No person may operate an unmanned rocket--

(a) In a manner that creates a collision hazard with other aircraft;

Thats exactly what the ATC said in his email to me:

The model rocket launch you describe conflicts with the approach flight path to Lexington Blue Grass Airport and is at an altitude which creates a collision hazard with aircraft.

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Have you created an actual hazard that needs to be abated?

Yet?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

But it does say you're not supposed to launch within five miles of an airport. Sounds to me like that allows them to deny it, because you're basically asking for a "waiver" of the prohibition against flights close to the airport.

Reply to
raydunakin

Are you serious with this? I mean really!!!!! All you have to do is notify the airport manager if appropriate. DUH... Anything that is not high power is not regulated. DUH again. So what are you even doing?

Reply to
Greg Cisko

If they are deemed unsafe... This is not easy to do as a general rule according to my local TRACON.

Yeah this is all pratty basic. So???????

So what is the problem??

What does this mean?

How or why was it canceled? What proof did they have that your operations were unsafe? The FAA cannot willy/nilly cancel your deal for non HPR launches. I mean really shockie, you of all people you should be on top of this!!! WTF!

Concerned? Is that all they had? How was it substancuated or otherwise proven that your operations are unsafe? What the hell is going on here?!?!

I would imagine this is from people that don't have a clue as to the rules or the FARs.

Really. Please explain how this was down because I think it is impossible. A local airport is trying the same thing with us, and so far they do not have anything close to actually proving our operations are unsafe. How is it your local airport does?

I would imagine you have a new airport manager to deal with :-)

Reply to
Greg Cisko

The regs specifically say you're not supposed to launch rockets within five miles of an airport. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sure looks to me like that means any rockets, not just high power.

raydunakin

The regs specifically say you're not supposed to launch rockets within five miles of an airport. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sure looks to me like that means any rockets, not just high power.

raydunakin

The regs specifically say you're not supposed to launch rockets within five miles of an airport. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sure looks to me like that means any rockets, not just high power.

raydunakin

Ray,

I've quote the relevant portion of the regs from the original post (below). As I read it, the only constraint is that if you launch within

5 miles of an airport runway, you must NOTIFY the airport manager. It does not say that you have to do anything further, or that they have the authority to prevent you from launching.

The only 'caveat' in all of this is that you must not pose a threat to aircraft. Now, in this instance, the airport manager has 'claimed' a hazard to aircraft, but he'd darn well better have a basis for this in fact (not just suppostion). The difficulty one would have is that if the police were called to 'enforce the law', who are they going to believe about model rockets being a hazard? You (the guy LAUNCHING the rockets), or the guy who manages the airport (who in theory is supposed to know the difference between a hazard and a non-hazard)?

David Erbas-White

(b) The operation is not conducted within 5 miles of an airport runway or other landing area unless the information required in Sec. 101.25 is also provided to the manager of that airport.

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Point.

The HPR industry has enculturated sheep. People will not even read and follow the regs and insist on their rights to FAA, ATF, etc. Demand your rights. Or stop whining when they walk all over you.

It's shockie, what do you expect?

Maybe he inaccurately admitted to being unsafe or something radical like that.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

This guy has been making false allegations and speculations against me for over a decade now, too.

He is a true moron and one of the most mindless of all TRA lackeys.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

No, it does not. It says if you are within 5 miles, you have to notify.

Reply to
David

You're wrong. They say that if you are within 5 miles of an airport, you have to notify them as well.

Bob Kaplow

They do not have the authority to do so. It is *YOUR* responsibility to comply with the regulation, not their decision to make.

Contact me via email. I'll give you the name and phone number of the guy I've dealt with at the ORD TRACON for 15 years. He's been VERY helpful in explaining these details to FAA folks even outside his details. I can also give you the name nad number of someone at the Kankakee FSS who not only deals with this stuff there, and is writing a manual for FAA folks to deal with our hobby, but is an L1 certified HPR flier himself.

Do not take *NO* for an answer from someone who does not have the authority to say no.

Bob Kaplow