OT: Telemarketers

Ya know that national "do not call" registry that you can sign up with, to avoid having to put up with those harrassing sales calls?

Well, the "American Teleservices Association" thinks this violates their "1st amendment rights" (hey, by the same logic do I have a right to call my ex-gf 10 times a day? I think that's known as har- rassment....) and they're suing the federal government to stop it.

You can help turn the tables by calling the American Teleservices Association at these FREE toll-free numbers, and letting them know what YOU think: (I plan on phoning them once for each time I get an unsolicited sales call. What's good for the goose, and all that...)

American Teleservices Association: (877) 779-3974 ATA Administrative Office: (866) 500-4272

Also, you may want to email them at snipped-for-privacy@ataconnect.org, and let them know what you think that way, too.

All info. above is public, from their wesite at

Feel free to pass this along to your friends & neighbors, etc.

-B. "just exercising my 1st Amendment rights" B.

Reply to
BB

Done. Surprising that I got through on the first attempt. More people need to be harrassing them.

Reply to
bit eimer

People can say what they will about Michael Moore--and I know merely mentioning that name will likely bring loads of flames my direction, but what the heck--I think he's a brilliant satirist if occasionally (okay, rather often) over the top. On his show "TV Nation" he once did a bit called "Revenge Night" in which:

  1. They had huge speakers playing horrid bland music placed out in front of the home of the president of Muzak.
  2. They took a trash truck and banged dumpsters in the middle of the night at the home of an owner of a waste disposal company.
  3. Most priceless, they called the owner of a telemarketing firm repeatedly at annoying times to advertise "TV Nation".

Great stuff.

Reply to
James Reyome

When you get a call from a telemarketer, ask for their name and home number. The do just that. If they say they don't do business from home, say "neither do I". I NEVER do business with telemarketers, even the 1 in 100 that is actually something I could use. I'd go to their competitor first.

Bob Kaplow