Re: padlocks, hoods, and type iv magazine

I'm designing the magazine for my LEUP application. I'm following

> someone else's suggestion and starting with a steel toolbox from > Sears. Since it only has one hasp (and it will only accept a 3/8" > shackle), I'm planning to weld on 2 more hasps. (I'm going to be > borrowing the welder, so it makes sense to be 1/2" shackle-ready now > instead of having to borrow it again).

For an indoor magazine, you only need one lock and no hood. You're already done. Just go buy the lock.

Also, has anyone used a "shackle-less" lock on a type IV magazine? With > one of the hasps that surround the lock, it seems like a nice solution > to the problems mentioned in the Orange Book and it certainly should be > more secure than the toolbox itself. However, it doesn't seem to meet > the letter of the Orange Book.

If you're describing what I think you are, I saw one last week. Essentially, the lock is its own hood. I don't see why it wouldn't meet the BATF regs.

Bob Kaplow

Only if indoor in a "secure" room. I could certainly add a second lock to the door into my garage and be OK there. However, the roll-up door is controlled by an automatic garage door opener. I would rather not convert it to meet the requirements as I park my car in the garage each night and don't want to have to open two locks. Additionally, I have a window into my garage. While I didn't see anything specifically in the Orange Book about that, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to smash the window and enter the garage. So, unless I've missed something, I need the two locks and hood.

I may be reading too much into marketing and the regs. Since the manufacturer calls it "shackle-less", it seems like it doesn't meet the 3/8" minimum shackle requirement. Alternately, if the locking pin is a shackle, at 13/32", it meets the current requirement, but I don't see one with a 1/2" pin being offered anywhere, so I might well be starting over if ATF puts that rule into effect. (Nevermind, of course, that it's likely to be more secure than anything I put together and even what I put together will be more secure than the toolbox itself.)

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Alexander

Unless they intact the bit about eliminating that exception. Then he has to modify it anyway.

Essentially,

That won't work. The hood is to protect the staple and hasp, in addition to the lock's shackle. Imagine a striking blow from the side. The force pulls the lock against the staple and eventually the thin metal staple gives way.

See:

$20 each or as you can tell, just cut a bit of circular tubing or for $20 total:
need to upgrade locks nor worry about hoods.

Joel. phx

And please, don't store anything but blackpowder not intended for use in an antique device.

Joel Corwith

I'd been figuring on use one with a hasp like in your first link. It seems like that does a pretty good job of protecting it from blows, etc.

Your second link seems appropriate to an opening that slides (like a door across a frame) rather than one that pulls apart (like a lid from a toolbox). A mortise lock would be convenient, but I haven't figure out a way to make one work with a readily available metal box. What am I missing?

Thanks, Scott

That's a pretty likely outcome.

Reply to
Scott Alexander

Scott, You may save yourself some time and money by asking your agent what they will accept. My agent would not accept my magazine that I had..I ended up having to make another one that she finally accepted..

And to quote a friend of mine after dealing with his agent..

"And of course always remember: What your ATF inspector says is true, nothing else matters. Not the Orange Book, not physics, not logic, and not the law."

Reply to
Tony Alcocer

God bless you Joel.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So then they break in the garage and just walk off with the box, despite the locks and hood. Remember that a type 4 box can be as thin a metal box as you can find. Easilly opened with a hacksaw despite any locks. It's just STUPID. But then, it's the government...

Bob Kaplow

I concur with your conclusions. Next go around, it will be the wrong color.

Joel. phx

Actually, his new box probably better fits a type 3,....

Joel Corwith

Reply to
MIKE

MIKE wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The carpet would have to be removed since the specs call for a non-sparking interior surface.

Reply to
David W.

The orange book. Learn it, love it, live it.

Type 4 storage. Not the least of which includes dual locks.

Technically an aluminum can with 2, 5 cylinder, 3/8" shackle locks qualifies as a type 4, providing you make it thief proof.

Joel. phx

And is only appropriate for the storage of low explosives as defined by the government.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Apparantly there is a singular exception:

27 CFR 55.141-a-8.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I don't see a problem with either the fire safe or the typical gun safe I've seen. EXCEPT what I've seen has a combination lock on it instead of a keyed lock. THe BATF definitely doesn't like combination locks...

Bob Kaplow