sport rocketry

See? There are perfectly good reasons for keeping launch sites a secret. Otherwise, Bob might show up.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

1) Art asked what happened. I responded. 2) I've yet to see any acknowledgement from any one involved in the Stupidroc fiasco that it was wrong, to see an apology to those screwed. Don't forget our old friends from Tomah were among those screwed in this event.

Bob Kaplow

Worse, when they re-wrote the stupidroc rules in the aftermath, they made 3 changes: maximum length, no crimp through landing, and no external recovery systems. NONE of these changes addressed the use of booster motors in single stage rockets, which was the premise of the bogus DQs at NARAM-22.

In fact, Alan and I could have EASILLY flown our rockets with A10-3T or A3-2T motors instead of A10-0Ts, under the then current rules prior to the 3 changes listed above. In fact, I'm sort of surprised that we didn't use a different "trick" back then to do this. But there was no reason to do so at the time. Until they re-wrote the rules 2 days after the event.

Bob Kaplow

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger :)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Like the Black Knight? ;O)

Reply to
BB

Properly changing event rules is not worse than changing rules during a contest and DQing flights already made.

I don't know how EASY it would have been, but it certainly would have been done. They key is that the MMRGLM of the A10 is 5.0 Oz. Exceding the MMRGLM of the A3 might also lead to a DQ. My entry was

4.0 Oz, and your entry was 5.0 Oz. The A10-0T has about a 0.8 second tail thrust that seems to serve as a short delay, and 3 seconds seems a bit long. Neither of us used a piston launcher, and I don't think using a piston launcher allows one to violate the MMRGLM.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Nobody is calling for your head today, for something done 23 years ago. There is nothing wrong with retelling history. I would not want the same mistakes to be repeated. If you want a break you have to deserve it or earn it, maybe serving a few years as NAR President...

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

I will say that I was VERY concerned when I heard that Bunny was taking over as NAR president at NARAM-37, based on his history as two term contest board chairman. I'm pleased to say that his management style as NAR Prez has been about as opposite his Contest Board style as is possible. He's out-done J Pat Miller, and definitely outdone Pat's predecessors.

Bob Kaplow

Except they NEVER changed the rules to support the decision of the contest jury and contest board czar. They made 3 other changes and did nothing about the use of booster motors in contest flights. Even after the changes, it was unclear as to the use of booster motors in single stage Stupidrocs or other events, until 1988.

Bob Kaplow

Look who's talking!!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I have been working on general public access of rocketry for decades now and the associations and my perceived competitors have been forming as many closed loop systems as possible.

I have had over 3000 people at a single rocket launch, and have duplicated that more than three times in a row.

NOBODY else has, and any complaining I do should be viewed in the context of this post.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

RESOLVED: Mark Bundick was an offensive and unfair contest board chairman. As with all bureaucracies the only way to get rid of someone horiffic is to promote them.

Hence NAR official policy on 62.5g NAR official policy illegally demanding ATF permits for exempt explosives and many, many others.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You mean Palladin?

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I don't know how you rank NAR Presidents, but Bunny has done well, even better than I had expected. Still, the HPR/BATFE thing could blow up in his face.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

is it still illegal to use a booster motor in say drag race in competition ? or other events for that matter ?

Reply to
AlMax714

No moving parts rocket gliders often used booster motors.

The final burn-off of A10-0T motors has begun. Lots of clustered and staged models will be at Lucerne on Sunday.

Sunday, Sunday - BE THERE!

-Fred Shecter

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Fred Shecter

It never was, not in 1980, nor in 2003.

Bob Kaplow

"Type and Primary Use" is not the same as "Type and Only Use". If there is a "Primary Use" then there is also a "Secondary Use".

Upper Stage motors can be used in lightweight single stage rockets.

"Booster Only" motors can be used in single stage models that ONLY boost and have no coasting phase. Flying Saucers. No moving parts rocket gliders.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

a "Primary Use"

This is truly funny.