1/100 Revell F-8 Crusader #4070

I have seen this kit in my hobby shop for the last couple of years and always dismissed it as a toy. Was looking at it again a couple of days ago and asked the manager what he would sell it to me for, (no price on box). He said two bucks will take it. I figured what the heck. Even junk has a price. Got it home and opened it up and was very surprised. Engraved panel lines. Dry fitted it together and what do you know. It actually looks like a nice little crusader. Simple landing gear but it should look very nice when built. Any one know of any reviws on this kit? I have not been able to find any. Steve

Reply to
Steve Jahn

It might be the old 1/100 Tamiya kit. Those were fairly nice. Indeed their Il-28 seems to be the best kit of the type.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Tamiya didn't do an F-8 but the kit is almost certainly of Japanese origin (Takara, maybe).

Reply to
Al Superczynski

This could be the Takara kit reboxed by Revell. If so, it is reviewed in Detail and Scale 31 on the Crusader. The review is generally favourable. The only real criticism is that there is a seam in the intake trunking when the fuselage halves are joined and this is said to be hard to remove. Apart from that, the decals were said to be brittle after application and needed to be varnished as soon as practicable. The review said that there were 43 parts plus canopy and decals for VF-191/USS Oriskany.

Otherwise, the kit seems to be fine. The Takara kit came with some figures and two bomb trollies to produce a diorama. Does yours have these?

Good luck with the kit. The picture that accompanied the review shows a very nice model.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin