2007 Wish List

Reply to
Andrew M

As I've already reached SABLE, I shouldn't have a wish list, I suppose, but this is it. All are in 1/72nd scale.

Aircraft: I agree that we could do with some post-war RAF types. I'd also like some more WW1 types such as the DH9, Albatros CIII and Morane-Saulnier Type L. Some aircraft from the 1920's and 1930's, including some of the attractive civil aircraft of the period, would also be nice.

AFVs: A decent Centurion Mk5 or 9/10, a good Sherman that I could actually afford and any of the armoured cars from 1914 onwards would do me nicely. Some artillery would also be good.

Lorries and cars: I'd really like to see some lorries, military and civilian, from any period up to c1960 and some cars of the same period. A Bedford RL would separate me from some of my scarce cash.

Earthmoving and other plant: I'd also love to see some plant models. A Caterpillar D6 or D8 bulldozer, a Ruston-Bucyrus 10RB or 19RB excavator, a Muir-Hill 10b or 14B dumper, a steam roller, etc.

Domestic and industrial architecture: This may seem an odd choice but I could fancy some proper kits of Victorian, Edwardian and later houses and small industrial buildings.

Ships: As a change of scale, I might have trouble resisting a range of

1/1200 scale ships, naval and merchant, that could be used to make up a convoy and escorts from WW1 or WW2.

Considering the expense, it's just as well that this lot are unlikely to appear.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

For Aim Tech to get off their ass and get the

1/48 P 61 done they advertised oh so long ago...

I'd even take a Trumpeter P 61 in braille scale.

AM

Reply to
AM

Have you looked at any of the model railway companies?

You may find Langley Models interesting.

Enzo Matrix

Thanks, Enzo. I'm familiar with Langley's range of vehicles and have seen some of their building system. The kits are now out of my price range and the vacform basis of their buildings doesn't appeal.

What I had in mind was a proper plastic kit on the lines of Wills Finecast but with fuller exterior detail and the basic interior walls and floors. Architecture is one of my interests and I'm really thinking of a model of a building as an end in itself rather than as an adjunct to something else. As a medium term project, I have it in mind to scratch build a pair of Victorian semis or a short street of artisans' cottages of the same period. A small pre-WW1 factory or industrial workshop building also appeals.

I'm not familiar with many other ranges but the new Skaledale range of buildings, for example, doesn't really match what I have in mind.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Enzo Matrix said the following on 02/12/06 16:36:

I'd like to see more British warships such as the Glorious class which needs little conversion at least between HMS Courageous and HMS Glorious. Maybe Fiji and various other class ships.

The Pickfords Contractor low loader set which could have two cabs on the front or back if needs be. Try to get hold of the British Transport Films Classic DVDs "Giant Loads On The Move" and "50s Road Hauling" where this beast features. They can be had for around 3UKP in the crappy old DVD racks of clothes or junk shops.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

They were lucky to get their SBD back alive, IMHO. Sadly, I'll bet they learned nothing from the experience. No doubt they tell tales of crazy Enzo and his toy trains.

OTOH, I hope you procured a Thomas for the next time someone brings an urchin to see the trains. Most clubs have discovered that what excites them about their authentic scenery and realistic operation doesn't do much for kids who want to see the trains go round and round. This assumes that you would allow anybody with children inside your home again. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Railcars?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

engines, i bet.

Wagons

Alan Dicey

wow, a lot to chose from. thanks for the correction and info.

yeah, i guess different needs and guages make for very different cars or wagons. i don't know enough about trains. just enough to realise i'm ignorant.

Obviously 'railcars' was the wrong term. 'Wagons' was more appropriate and what I meant.

Thanks, Alan. Cool pics and I've bookmarked the page.

Very different from the 100 ton cars we have hereabouts.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

1/48 - TA-4J (are you listening Hasegawa????) 1/48 - T-2C Buckeye 1/48 - T-34B

1/350 and/or 1/700 USS Langley

1/350 and/or 1/700 27C Mod Essex-Hancock Carrier (Lexington, Hornet, Intrepid, Ticonderoga, Shangri-La, etc). Can anyone explain why these important ships have never been modeled in a standard scale? The Revell/Renwal kits just don't measure up as they are hugely innacurate and severly dated. Notwithstanding their goofy scale.

John Alger IPMS 10906 Charlotte Scale Modelers

Reply to
John

I hoofed it over to the garage yesterday to pick up the car and Amtrak had an oddity parked in their work area. If I and the Diesel Spotter's Guide are correct it was a GP39 built for the Kennecot Copper Co. to be used down in the pit mine in Utah. Now it's working for Amtrak in maintenance. Glad I took the camera along.

Wish I'd had it on Sunday when I walked back from said garage. There was another odd unit parked along the main. It looked like it should be sitting on 6-wheel trucks(bogeys) but it was on 4-wheelers. The radiator fan spacing was odd and there was carbody aft of the radiators. It might have been a GP40P but I can't say. There's been so much unit rebuilding that finding an older unit in as-delivered condition is rare. This one could have been modified in a shop somewhere.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller
1/72 C 5A

With working landing gear of course ;-)

Reply to
AM

can we see?

didn't they figure a man's expirience by the number of missing digits?

ok, thanks. you're getting me more interested in rr stuff. like i need a new hobby! wanna buy some motorcycles?

It comes perilously close to being a railbus. ;)

And I believe you still use hook and link couplings. That must make the brakeman's job more exciting. The railroads over here had to come up with something that didn't cause quite as much carnage as the link-and-pin style did. The Janney coupler was adapted from streetcars into the knuckle couplers we still use today. People still get hurt but nowhere near the numbers achieved in the 1880s.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller