Acryl scratch resistance & durability

I have a test part painted with the old Acryl formula, gloss Ford Engine Blue. On the same part, I also have some Model Master oil enamels (flats and glosses) and a Tamiya XF8 flat blue.

These paints were applied on July 21 2004, and scratched into on August 5,

2004.

The Acryl gloss Ford Engine Blue seems to be the most durable. It's the hardest one to break the surface on. It is the hardest one to dig through to get down to plastic. It's the hardest one to flake off after digging down to the plastic. I hope the new formula stuff is equally durable. I'm about to buy a few colors of it.

I wonder if multiple layers of undercoats and top coats will have that level of durability if I am allowing undercoats to fully dry before the next layer, or if I need to be getting all layers on while wet in order to bind together. This model has too many poseable parts. That's why it has to be extremely durable paint.

I plan on Acryl flat color undercoats (flat, just to make it easier, dry quicker and color variety) with Acryl clear blue as the top coat.

David Kennesaw, GA

Reply to
jdb

Have you tried "Ford Engine Blue" paint from your local auto supply place?

Available in both spray cans and bulk drums, it handles a wide range of temperatures, oils, petrol, hot water sprays and a variety of bumps and knocks. It will wear, but at least the "weathering" would be the correct base colour to add a variety of mucky stuff from the bottom of your other car.

Hope this helps, Peter

Reply to
Bushy