An-22 - More progress

For those still interested -

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast Flankers Website -
Ken Duffey

Daryl

It is 1:72 scale - span is 36 inches - fuselage length is 32 inches.

Fuselage diameter is 3 inches and those massive undercarriage sponsons make it look even fatter!

Imagine a 1:32 scale C-130 and you just about have it!

I have just tried to add the wheels - and encountered a major problem.

There are 12 main wheels - six either side in 3 rows of two - plus twin nosewheels.

Each wheel is in two halves - so I stuck them together, filed a 'flat' on each one and attached them to the legs with brass rod axles for strength. All looked fine - they all touched the ground and I was quite pleased with myself - until I added the nosewheel.

This is too tall - and lifts the front two pairs of mainwheels off the ground.

I have modified the nosewheel by reducing its height (I reduced the length of the oleo - which is too long anyway - and re-attached it with a brass rod insert for strength).

It is now the correct length - but still lifts the front pair of wheels. I can't reduce the height any further - otherwise the front wheels will be touching the bottom of the fuselage.

Luckily I hadn't glued the mainwheels in place, so what I intend to do is to sit the model on its nosewheels and the REAR pair of mainwheels.

Then I will have to somehow adjust the height of the front two pairs of wheels until they all touch the ground - sort of adjusting as I go.

Luckily most of the mainwheel legs are hidden inside the sponson when the doors are added - so I should be able to get away with some 'fiddling!

Watch this space.............

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast Flankers Website -
Ken Duffey

why not mount it on a base and adjust the ground to fit? a little fudge and who will know?

That's a pretty good idea. Many of the Soviet / Russian taxiways and parking aprons aren't all that smooth and flat and it would be more accurate that way anyway (particularly those from the mid-late 80s).

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Must you keep flashing pics of your huge Cock over the 'net weekly?? :) Good job. Can't wait 'til I have time to start messing with my Cock.

Reply to
famvburg

That would mean making a HILL between the main and nosewheels.

I have only dry-fitted the wheels/axles in place - so I can remove them and re-set the front pair (on either side) a little lower by adding spacers between the axles and the wheels.

Not very elegant - but it is mostly hidden away anyway.

Thanks for the input anyway.....