Any Special Problems With Building Motorcycle Kits?

I have this one on back order. Its been OOP for quite a long time.

I know matching the Honda colors could be a problem. Was kinda concerned as to how good the rubber tubing will make it look more toylike.

Any bike builders here who can offer some basic tips, problems, etc?

thx - Craig

crw59

If the supplied tubing is anything like the tubing I had on a Yamaha dirt bike and Harley Electra-glide (done in metal flake blue ala the movie ;-) ) in the late 70's it should be very realistic for the brake and clutch cables. It looked pretty close to scale to me. Both kits were by Revel IIRC.

Reply to
Larry Green

These days, you could also dress it up with a few of the scale aluminum AN fittings the car builders use. And you might even find some etched parts available...one thing I know I'd try and do is make a set of metal brake rotors if I couldn't find an aftermarket set. Metal discs would score a lot of realism points.

Reply to
Rufus

I have built more than a dozen Tamiya motorcycle kits and find that they look quite realistic. The tubing is pretty close to scale and, at that size, doesn't glaringly stand out. At the very least, drill out the disk rotors and finish in metallizer; if you can find etched parts, so much the better.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Larry Farrell

I should have looked a bit more closely before my initial post, above. I was talking specifically about 1/12 scale motorcycle kits. It is obvious, from the price that you have ordered a 1/6 scale kit. I've built only one of that size and the tubing looks a bit less authentic at that scale. Nonetheless, it still isn't a major issue. If you add some scale fittings, as suggested by another poster, it would look even better.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Larry Farrell