anyone ever bought aviation artwork?

the art work seen in the various military mags look cool. worth the very high prices?

thx - Craig

Reply to
Craig

I have not purchased any "aviation" artwork...but I have purchased quite a few Troiani prints; as well as those military/historical prints by Angus McBride, Kevin Lyles, and others. Pricey? Definitely. Have I been satisfied? Most definitely as well. You are usually paying for a "signature", as well as the high-quality artwork, if we are discussing limited-edition prints.

For more on Troiani:

Greg Heilers

Hello,

Yeah, they can be worth the price if you like the subject matter/painting itself enough.

I got the one by Philip...

Reply to
SamVanga

I have a ton of aviation prints bought at shows, sales, etc. Only a few fraed.

2001 Reno Air Races. The races that never were. Held the week of 9/11/01. Beautiful, exciting poster. Paid $5, no idea of value.

"Little Chief's War Dance", P-47 signed by pilot and artist. Won a door prize ticket at a Nats several years ago. Didn't see anything I wanted, but spied a rolled print. Asked the person in charge, asked the president of the chapter, both said OK, so I took it. Shipped it home the same day. Next day they wanted it back. $500 print donated by the artist. They got nasty, but I called the artist and he donated another. $200 for the framing and visitors coent on how great it looks.

So, yes, buy the art if you like it. Wouldn't suggest buying it as an investment.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Like most 'collectible' stuff, it's worth what you're willing to pay. As Tom says, buy it for youself, not as an investment.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

You have to like the subject matter. I've bought some as has my best friend. My first was at an art auction at a nearby army base. It was a limited edition print of an Air Force F-15. I thought...this will be a steal. Unfortunately, the soldier sitting next to me also wanted it. It was then I discovered the Prime Directive for auctions: After four bids, you are no longer playing with real money. You become fixated on the fact that the other guy is trying to get YOUR print. Sooooo, I paid a **little** more that it was worth at the time. Still, I'm glad I have it.

My other prints have appreciated with time. and I'm happy with them -- I just need a house with lots more wall space so I don't have to rotate the prints on display.

I REALLY WISH I'd bought one of the prints about the Doolittle Raiders that were out about the time of the 50th anniversary of the raid which were signed by Doolittle and some of the other survivors. They seemed expensive at the time. Now that Doolittle is dead, the prices have gone WAY UP.

Long story short, if you're buying them as investments, it's like playing the futures market. The odds are you won't make any money. Buy them because you want them.

Also, remember the cost of framing usually equals or exceeds the cost of the print.

HTH

Ed "If an enemy power is bent on conquering you, and proposed to turn all of his resources to that end, he is at war with you; and you -- unless you contemplate surrender -- are at war with him." --Barry Goldwater

Reply to
RobbelothE

Probably have in excess of 50 Robert Taylor prints here right now :) Number 1 of 25 (that's the FIRST worldwide) remark of Gathering Storm hangs over my computer now as I type. Personally, I like Robert Taylor the best, tho there a lot of good ones out there. And I always liked Keith Ferris, and Mike Machat !

Rule number one of art collecting is buy what you like looking at !!!! If you buy for any other reason, you can find yourself disappointed....

Rule number two. A nice large art print can easily cost $500 to frame properly. DO IT RIGHT don't skimp on nice artwork !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Properly cut Acid free matt, UV resistant glass, quality wood frame. (or metal, but the main thing is the matt, and how the print is held in the frame itself.) Gathering Storm cost that much, and the framers work was well worth it too me !! (so did Stormbrids Rising :)

I've seen the value of very expensive artwork ruined because the owner didn't spend the $$$ for a proper framing job, and upon disassembly, found said print actually taped/glued to matt/frame. Killed the value immediately !! (BOB, Douglas Bader print, quite sad.....)

DONT SKIMP ON FRAMING !!

Reply to
AM

That's called drymounting and is a hot melt adhesive on the matt, a big no-no for art.

Reply to
Ron

My brother has several of the Robert Taylor Doolittle prints, and boy, you are not kidding on the way the prices went !!

I wish I had got one at the time too !!

Reply to
AM

Reply to
someone

You're not kidding! I recently commissioned a painting from a web-comic artist:

Painting: $50 Frame: $84 & change

I don't regret it though. It's *literally* one-of-a-kind!

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall