Best Zero MODEL kit mfr--ok, that takes care o' THAT!

Someone mentioned Hasegawa had the best, but didn't mention scale as I recall. I do 1/48, and picked up a couple Tamiya kits, which, given Tamiya's reputation, should have been the right stuff. But, it seems these are rather old kits, and aren't bad exactly, but not what I expected from Tamiya. So...what's so good about the Hasegawa kit, as opposed to the Tamiaya, and was it 1/48?

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

The Zero is probably the most produced airplane in plasticdom. Tamiya and Hasegawa both came out with new kits in the late eighties when raised panel lines were the accepted norm. Now they've got new kits with engraved panel lines. I'd go to their respective websites and see which stock numbers are the newest.

hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

My vote would go to the Messerschmitt 109, actually.

The Hasegawa Zero's are the latest incarnations in 1/48 scale. The Tamiya kit dates from the 80's, decal instrument panel and such.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

That is because many of them get quickly built, doused with lighter fluid, stuffed with an M-80, lite and dropped off a bridge, making them good Zeros to the last. :-)

Reply to
West Coast Engineering

The 1/48 Tamiya kits are older than the Hasegawa kits. Interestingly, the Tamiya kits have both raised and scribed panel lines on the same kit. The Tamiya instruction sheets have different modeling and detail tips on them - different info for different Zero kits (e.g. A6M2b, A6M2-N, A6M3-32 and the A6M5c kits. Only Tamiya has the A6M5c). The fit is above average.

The Hasegawa kits are scribed and fit very well. The only problem is the aggravating joint they engineered through the wheel well. The decals are exceptional. I prefer them over the Aeromaster aftermarket decals. Choices of Zero versions include the A6M2a, A6M2b, A6M2-N, A6M3-32, A6M3-22, A6M3-22a, A6M5a, and IRCC the A6M8 in very limited edition.

All are enjoyable kits to build.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

I forget where I read it (not online) but the Zero ranks as most produced because of the many different molds produced in Japan during the fifties and sixties. Although most of them are OOP, odd scale, and antiquated detail the numbers are still there. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper