RC/Ertl Buys Playing Mantis (Polar Lights)!

RC/Ertl Buys Playing Mantis (Polar Lights)!
Just in case anyone is interested, supposedly RC/Ertl have bought Playing
Mantis (Johnny Lightning, Polar Lights, etc...). No official word yet but
there is a lot of action over on the Polar Lights and Johnny Lightning
discussion boards.
Supposedly, there wii be some sort of announcement next week.
Stay tuned.
James
Reply to
James D. Farrow
if it is true, they prob will do their normal thing and concentrate on diecast cars.
Reply to
N329DF
and then the PL and JL kits will go down the crapper just like ERTL
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci
Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy
First I heard of this. What is your source for this info? Cheers, Max
Reply to
Max Bryant
James, I don't know where I have been because I frequent the Polar Lights BB. I just popped over there and read Dave Metzners replies. Oh My Gosh! I love Polar lights and I hope that RCERTL doesn't stop them from doing all the great stuff they do. I have every PL kit made except the car kits and Snap Draggins. Max Bryant
Reply to
Max Bryant
Man, this sucks. Ertl has such a crappy rep now. :(
Reply to
famvburg
Tom Carter of Hobby Heaven announced this yesterday on his message board. Maybe I'm just pessimistic but Racing Chumps getting their hands on this doesn't sound good to me.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Bill Banaszak
why the sale? didn't we buy enough kits or what?
guess that means no Big Frankie!
Craig
Reply to
Craig
Yes, it is fact. Playing Mantis and RC2 are in the final stages of negotiations for the sale of Playing Mantis to RC2, for reasons I cannot go into at this time.
While I for one wish this wasn't coming down (Being in product development for both Johnny Lightning and Polar Lights model car kits), I do understand the reasons, albeit not the happiest of situations.
From the product perspective, I seriously believe that RC2 will carry on the PL line, after all, there's nothing to be gained by them by deep-sixing them, truthfully. From the diecast perspective, again the same story.
Much of the bad rap that RC2 (formerly known as Racing Champions) garnered over the past several years comes from some mis-calculations on their part when they acquired Ertl and along with that, the AMT model kit line, and of course, economic and financial troubles that we've all faced beginning in mid-summer 2000.
I truthfully do not know where I will be come the completion of the deal, however, I refuse to be panicked by any of the prospects. After all, those who really know me know that I have survived a couple of ordeals far more serious than this could ever be, and I am still standing, and expect to be doing so for years to come (and I am almost 60 years old, believe it or not!).
Art Anderson
Reply to
Amodlra
Considering what they did to ESCI/ERTL/AMT, the car line will probably be the *only* thing that survives! Get those Sci-Fi kits while you can, folks...
Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall
All the threads have been deleted. Guess they were fed up with all the negative comments. Anyway, supposedly the official announcement will be tomorrow. Let's hope the result is not as bad as most people think it will be.
James
Reply to
James D. Farrow
True, does not bode well for creative products. Waiting for the ensuing buying panic,
The Keeper (of too much crap)
Reply to
Keeper
Hmm. RC/Ertl can't take the heat, huh? Figures.
Reply to
famvburg
AMT dumped its star trek and s/f kits...will this mean something similar will happen with PL? Neither does planes anymore (shame on ertl) so at least that wont bother me...
Reply to
Eyeball2002308
Sounds like an omen of things to come to me.
My Drill Sergeant in Basic Training used to tell us (and I think it applies here): "Things *may* get better -- but they can *always* get worse." He seems to have been well-aquainted with the concept of entropy...
Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall
I doubt it. ERTL's sci-fi line was, except for a few of the newer ST ships, was getting a little tired and was probably not selling well. After a couple of years there are still alot to be had, even at close-out prices. I was still sorry to see it go but the PL line is more varied and I can't see how they bought it to shut it down. And does anyone know is it just Polar Lights (plastic models) that sold or ALL of the Playing Mantis company? It's too early to doom-cry. And I want that 1/350 movie Enterprise!
-John
Reply to
Pacific95
All of the big 1/72 airplane kits AMT/ERTL had were the only injected kits of their types, even tho their B-52G & H were a POS, the C-135 series & XB-70 weren't too bad & I'm sure they sold well. Now they bring a good figure on eBay. I remember getting some of their smaller 1/72 kits & they too were garbage, ISTR the F-18 & F-15 & F-16 weren't impressive. So how smart a move was discontinuing the big kits? I can understand the B-52s, but the XB-70 & C-135 series? Even if RC keeps & even develops the PL stuff, we have to look forward to their crappy quality control & so-called customer service.
Reply to
famvburg
was getting a little tired and was probably not selling well.
Let's give them some credit for the decent Star Wars episode one kits. Trade Federation Tank, STAP w/Battle Droid and Anakin's Pod Racer were not bad kits. Their snap kits too (Gungan Sub, Naboo Fighter, Droid Fighters) were actually pretty good entry level kits.
Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at
Rob Gronovius