The following remarks taken from the minutes of the UW senate show at least that thought is not dead on campus.
From: http://senate.asuw.org/secretary/minutes/senate/12/02-21-2006.pdf
VI. Chair's Report Alex Kim said he was excited to see so many people interested in Senate. He welcomed Dan Boirum, a Cadet and member of the ROTC committee. Dan Boirum said the UW has been receiving a lot of criticism it didn't deserve. He presented a letter from the military community on campus.
Student Senate,
Of the many student organizations on campus, the military community often holds a negative image. The various Reserve Officer Training Corp programs are frequently criticized by some as producing trained killers. Yet these programs are designed with considerable effort to produce leaders of integrity, courage and dedication. The individuals thats(sic) come out of ROTC are some of the brightest leaders our nation is capable of producing. They are exactly the sort of people the UW should strive to produce.
The military community does not desire parades, monuments or banners. We do our jobs not for thanks nor praise. We do our duty because we believe we serve a purpose greater than ourselves. However, we resent the fact that some members of the student government would liken us to criminals or murderers. It is true that the profession of arms is a violent one. But as a professional military, our services put an unbelievable amount of effort to accomplish the mission with as little damage and loss of life as possible. The world is still a violent place and the only thing that keeps violence off of our doorstep, is that other men and women stand ready to absorb that violence.
Soldiers are not responsible for making policy. We are assigned missions by the duly appointed civilian leadership, one not unlike the concept of the student senate. Like the American public we each have our own political opinions and beliefs. The ideas and politics of each person in uniform is as diverse as can be found anywhere on campus. Yet we all share one commonly parroted ideal; that freedom of thought and liberty are divine rights to be enjoyed by all humankind.
To this day there are millions of people who live under the weight of oppression. Few people around the world enjoy the same security, luxury and freedoms that are so openly taken for granted in our nation. Gregory Boyington and men like him literally bled to protect liberty from a growing oppressive empire. Many before him, many of his peers, and many future graduates from his Alma Mater have, and will continue to pay the price of liberty with their own blood.
So easy is it to condemn and criticize others. And so easy is it to give way to ignorance and preconceived notions. We are all guilty of it, all of us. While it is not uncommon, it is also not fair that some confuse the necessity of violence with murder or fascism. No American warrior fights solely for his appointed Commander in Chief. No American warrior fights for oil. Americans take up arms not to force their choices on others, but to give and protect the liberty of choice.
Despite all the criticism and the apparent negative feelings of all involved parties, we are PROUD to be members of the University community. The UW may not always support the military community, but we strongly support the University of Washington. The UW is and will continue to be a main center of academic achievement, as well as a diverse community of politics and ideas. We firmly support the University of Washington because great minds do not think alike. Great minds think for themselves.
With Genuine Respect,
The Military Community of the University of Washington
Alex Kim said much of the discussion across the country is more argument than discussion.
He said he thought much of the country suffers from a wound by which human beings cannot talk to each other.
He said the sort of dialogue that takes place within Senate is critical for healing and consensus in today's crossfire democracy.
He said the last two weeks have taught him how important such dialogue is.
EOM
The left and the right have some good positions and some very bad ones. As long as the left and the right fight their wars of attrition on every one's else's time, we will not move forth. It is time for the center to rise up and take the stage for a time.
Kevin McCollough, SFC USA (Ret)
What is history but a fable agreed upon? Napoleon Bonaparte
--tempest in teapot snipped--
(and pardon me for continuing this... can't leave it)

A) Keeping score? I guess that to the right, this is a game of sorts.
B) What campus radicals? (laughing out loud; really) these are elected student body senators, not demonstrators or anything like that. These are the leaders of student government, who will more than likely be future political leaders (on whatever level)
(insert non-sequitor here) The US right is far more radical than the left. The "left" in this country, as led by Clinton in his years, was much more centrist than the current ... gulp.... "leadership". Not just the disgraced and/or indicted ones either...
Anyhow, as the ASUW president said, just at the beginning of this controversy, they wanted to honor all UW CMOH recipients, not just Boyington. The perpetually-enraged right got this bone in their mouth about a few comments made by some of the senators and it turned into this.
Guess what; this memorial was probably going to happen without the national spotlight etc!!
--- Tontoni
The fellow who proposed it in the first place seems to gone into a swoon after reading "Ba Ba Black Sheep". I doubt he could name two USMC squadron CO's from WW2--and I doubt the chronically enraged among us could name any that weren't also autobiographical fighter aces.
On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:54:04 -0700, Stephen Tontoni wrote:

Yes...*student* leaders. In other words, "trainees". They are not yet mature enough, nor experienced enough, to be trusted with *real* responsibilities and issues.

Yep...just look at all those "danged right-wingers" who in the past week or so, were marching the streets, flying Mexican and Cuban flags, chanting anti-American outbursts over immigration policy.

Ironic, that the current Administration is labled "right wing", when as far as domestic policy is concerned, it has "out Liberaled" most of the Left.

Isn't a memorial *supposed* to generate national attention?

--

Greg Heilers