Do artists get royalties from kits featuring their art?

Or do they get theirs all up front? Same question goes for those plate artists that illustrate reference books. Just wondering what scale they work on and how much it contributes to kit costs. That and I'm curious how much that line of work pays.

Anyone have some inside info or want to venture a guess?

WmB

WmB

The most common arrangement is payment up front, buyer owns the piece and rights to it. Royalties only come into play if you are licensing a work, which isn't very common for illustrations. Unless you are really well-known/liked and can reasonably demand such things.

The monetary amounts are dependant on the product, and vary wildy.

I know a few people who make their livings this way, and they are successful either because they server very specialized markets (like medical illustration) or because they turn out acceptable results quickly.

Reply to
Grumman

Thanks for the info - that jives with what I would expect.

WmB

WmB