Fires in Greece

Unless I was halucinating I'd swear I saw one of those Beriev A40s waterbombing somewhere over Greece. Anyone else catch sight of one?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

There is at least one Be-200 being used, I don't think any A40s are however.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

sure looked like. you talking the red/brown thing?

Reply to
someone

Be-200 when used in the water bomber role:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Greece has bought twelve of the Be-200s, with six for delivery by 2009, and the other six later:

probably considers the Greek fires the perfect opportunity to show that they got their money's worth, and spur possibilities of more international sales. The US has also shown interest in the aircraft; although I don't know if that means the US Forest Service or private fire-fighting companies. It's sure an impressive looking aircraft.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Beriev probably considers the Greek fires the perfect opportunity to show

Well thank f*** for that, as from what I found, the (apparently two) operating Be-200s were being rented, at a total cost of 3.2mil eur (about

4.4mil usd I reckon).

Wasted money in my opinion, particularly in a country where fires are a major problem every summer.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

The origin of the fires is interesting. Apparently in Greece there is a lot of land that could be profitably developed as real estate if it didn't have pesky farmers and forests on it. Luckily, with the aid of the Greek mafia, that land can be cleared for development in a matter of hours:

As Putin cracks down on the mafia in Russia, so does the Beriev Hero-Sea Plane liquidate their actions in Greece!

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

what about the us company converting 747's to water bombers? their system is easily removed and reassembled so that the ac can also be freighters. what happened to buy freakin american? our gov forget that, too?

Reply to
someone

it's not like they need it for the poor, education, infrastructure, or old earthquake damage is it?

Reply to
someone

Nothin' worse than a greece fire (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

or greek fire on yer trireme.

Reply to
someone

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote: : : what about the us company converting 747's to water bombers? : Evergreen? It is an interesting concept, but I expect it is damned expensive. One reason there are so many 747 freighters to convert is that they are expensive beasts to fly. : : what happened to buy freakin american? our gov forget that, too? : Perhaps Evergreen did not contribute sufficiently?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

oops, i forgot the reality. yeah, it's evergreen. their system isn't that bad. lots of off the shelf.

Reply to
someone

the videos looked good. they had a lot of flexibility in dump type. all, partial, several partials, even dribble over small sections. the company is supposed to be hot and popular.

Reply to
someone

That's probably what I saw.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Somehow the idea of a 747 waterbomber is a little frightening. I just can't see one of those pulling big Gs in a hard turn, especially full of water.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yep, I guess it was the similar configuration that threw me.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

It's not just the waste of money, it's also the lack of forethought that's absolutely irritating. It's not like fires randomly occur once a decade in such climates (also see Cali, Oz etc).

Good thing I don't know much of this money is just for the middlemen.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

? "Mad-Modeller" ?????? ??? ?????? news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com...

Yes, it was asked as a personal favor from Putin about 15-20 days ago (B-200 though...). Nice job but it can't operate in the mountainous areas of Greece at its full potential... The Canadairs are still the best for such situations.

Reply to
gogu

? "Pat Flannery" ?????? ??? ?????? news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

???? This is the first time I hear that! And I am watching the news at least 6 times a day:-) I believe the news reported are unfounded.

Not a reliable source I'd say...

Reply to
gogu